May I ramble some more?

When you charge a battery, you create a parallel circuit (hot+ to hot+, ground- to ground-) and the charger will tend to "balance" the current capacity and voltage with the battery... if you hook together two 6 volt batteries in parallel, you double the capacity, but the voltage remains the same.
The capacities of the batteries will tend to balance.

If you hook the charger in series, (hot+ to ground-, ground- to hot+)without a resistor or load some where between the connections,
you very may well blow up the battery.

With or without a resistor (or load), the voltage is added together, and the current capacity would balance, or try to...

A pack of nicad cells like the ones for a drill have the same mAh capacity as one cell. The voltage is just multiplied by the number of cells. One cell would be 1.25V 1200 mAh and the whole pack of ten cells would be 12.5V at 1200 mAh...

For a 14 hour charge, the charger would connect to this pack in parallel and would have to provide 125 mAh. The voltage can be as low as 10V and as high as 15V and still work. They don't seem to be voltage dependant.

As far as lead-acid gel cells, the type in the buggy, they're about the same as nicads but with generally larger capacity in the 2 to even 100 or so Amp-hour range.

I shall step down from my soap box now [Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI