Hi men, after reading these responses to the original post, I am curious about what the NEC is exactly. I know what the letters stand for, but let me tell about the NSPI so you'll know what I'm getting at.

NSPI stands for National Spa and Pool Institute. It is/was a national body that wrote standards concerning pool and spa safety at far as construction and use guidlines. Recently, NSPI was sued and was forced to re-organize under a bankruptcy filing and actually will cease to exist as NSPI. Certain standards were followed and yet accidents happened, so the orgainization was named in law suits and then forced to pay when courts found that the standards didn't protect the consumer in these specific cases.

Is the NEC similarly liable when it's standards are followed? Is it even an organization/entity that has assets or asset protection making it a deep pocket?

I'm not trying to hijack the topic here, but am wondering if AZSam is opening himself up to liability later if he lessens the protection advocated by the inspector[who I agree seems to be on a power trip, or is just trying to hide his ignorance]. Or, if he cites the NEC, is he aligning himself with a significant partner if libility issues come up.

Brad