Respectfully, I think the 'reading aloud' technique is far more applicable to very young children, or grammar school, as someone else stated.

There's a difference between having youngsters reading aloud and having grown adults do it.
By listening to and following his reading skill helps the teacher to be able to help that student in his/her needs.

back in grammar school, our class had a few kids whose' mother tounge was no English, so they would have extra trouble reading aloud. So the reading would bog down, and I'd get bored sitting thru it. I'd start reading ahead and maybe even finish the lesson on my own. Problem was that if I got called on to pick up the reading I wouldn't know where the class was. The teacher decided I was dumb in that I couldn't keep up. Actually I was dumb in that I didn't keep half an ear on where the class was in the reading. [Linked Image] I'd end up in the poor reader's subgroup of the class. I think part of the problem was that they had too many kids in the class (about 32, that was the number that would physically fit in the classroom and not be a fire code violation).

Having to sit in a class having to listen to someone else read the book can be quite boring. Most people can read silently a lot faster than reading out loud. As an adult paying for the class, I'd be unhappy with this "waste of time".

There was this thing called "SRA" back in grammar school in the mid sixties. For reading class. It was a box full of short reading stories you read independently of the other kids (you had the only copy of that story, the other kids had other stories). And there were some question and answers on the back of the story pamphlet and you could look in the story to find the answers. A hell of a lot more interesting than sitting thru out loud reading. The teacher was avaliable for help if you needed it, otherwise she just kept the spitball fights down [Linked Image].

I don't see a sensable analogy of this to an adult class, unfortunately. Unless someone writes up individual stories on different sections of the NEC...