Charlie, I did a lot of my own too. Mostly I used the wheels of learning as a basic guideline, and then supplimented it or expanded on certain chapters.

I spent extra time on things that caught their interest, like theory and ohms law, and went a little more in depth into things like blueprint reading.

Just so no one misunderstands me, I'm not trying to sound as harsh as maybe I did regarding ABC's choice of literature. But during my time teaching I was just one of many teachers who felt the same way; that the materials could be a little more palatable for the students.

In fairness, a lot does depend on the teachers style as well. The teacher has the responsibility to transform the material, thru presentation style, into something the student will look forward to engaging in.

I think that's what makes a good teacher, and it's why I'm against the old 'just make the kids read aloud' stuff.

I was guilty of that a few times, but it was always when I wasn't prepared, or wasn't in the mood to be there that night.

Regardless of the curriculum, almost any organized apprenticeship endeavor is worth the effort, and any student willing to go the extra mile to advance himself usually will.

Just stick with it Andy. It will all be worth it.