OK, let's see if I can clear this up....

Working access would be from a ladder in some cases; the platform must provide working space on three sides of the CU.

Note that this is mandatory in flood plain areas as designated by FEMA's latest flood maps. FEMA regs are mandated by the local flood plain manager. FEMA regs are made mandatory by the NJ DCA, the State authority.

Based on that, there are CUs that are 12' above dirt, with a disco next to the unit.

The above applies to NJ areas that are in flood zones, and is the result of the extensive flood damage from Sandy, which also affected parts of NY metro area,

While I was the AHJ in a town that was decimated by Sandy, the BFE heights/zones were in a state of flux from FEMA. Replace a flood damaged service, the meter must be a BFE+2' (Twp Ord was the "+2') which put the POCO meter in some cases 10-12' above dirt. The POCO bitched, FEMA won. After many months of this, the POCO, FEMA, and DCA agreed that the meter must be at 5' above grade, BUT everything else must be at BFE+2'. This means, no meter/mains; no meter stacks. An 'around this, with local zoning, planning approvals would be to install a 'deck' or porch with a staircase and install the meter/main, meter stack there with compliant working clearances.

BTW, 'house raising' seems to be a tremendous grouth business here along the Jersey coast!!

Did I like enforcing the above, NO; but I had to. Many services were done twice; a few more than twice.

Again, I will say...this is mandatory in any area designated by FEMA as a flood zone. I do not know if tsolanto's area of Long Island, NY is a FEMA zone.

John