George:
Perhaps I misunderstood your post above, but are you saying that you would not have any issues with SEU that is taped for its entire length?

I have two pics of SEU that has no outer sheath at all, leaving the neutral spiral exposed to the weather, along with the two (2) insulated hots. The insulation on the hots was/is exposed to the weather & sun, and the insulation designations are unreadable.

Yes the OP stated that the SEU is 'taped' full length in his situation.

This being the case, how could anyone determine the condition of the SEU?? Is the Alum neutral spiral deteriorated from exposure to rain, sun etc.?? Are the two insulated conductors deteriorated/damaged??

IMHO, SEU that has no sheath has reached the end of its service life, and should be replaced.

Can I as Electrical AHJ require replacement? I can advise the owner of an unsafe condition, and reccomend replacement by a Lic EC. I can also request that Fire Prevention pay them a visit, as an 'unsafe' condition could result in a rejection of the CCO Inspection/Approval. Or, as I said above, the utility does write this type of condition as a violation, and can and DO terminate electrical service for non compliance.

John