Pleased to meet you, Roger and Sparky!

Thanks for breaking the ice and making me feel welcome!

Mike Holt's books sound like a great idea. I'm not even sure what's in them so I'm gonna have to check on them.

I figured if I enrolled a community college, it may consume so much time before I acutally get into at least an entry-level electrician job. I really don't have much time as my job situation is probably not good as we may be laid off within a year. I am trying to get training as fast as possible.

There is one option I feel is the fastest path to get an electrician job which is to take home study courses and obtain a diploma within 6 to 12 months and then submit a resume to employers that are hiring entry-level electricians at least on a part-time basis if I still have my current job at the time.

I don't know if this is the best approach, but I would love an opinion from you guys. Do you think home study is feasible? What do you think about this following link which is the course I'm considering in signing up?
http://www.pcdi-homestudy.com/courses/te/

I figured maybe once upon the completion of the diploma, I can add this on my resume and it would look more impressive and give me a better chance to get hired at least at the entry-level and grow from there?

I'm really curious if you don't mind my asking how y'all ended up becoming electricians? Where did you learn the trade?
Does it brings you an income that you're happy with? have you ever been electrocued? Of course, you wouldn't reply if that ever happens to you! ;-)

Many thanks for the suggestions. Please feel free to correct me if you think I'm not going the right path. I can take critcisms and be humble!

God, I'm so hungry for knowledge!