Binding post numbers, DSL and ISDN active on board.... You just gotta know who and how to ask. Explain your situation... "Hi I'm Joe Schmuck with XYZ Electricic doing some inside work for a customer at 123 Blahblahblah St. I need the binding post numbers for 415-123-4567?"

They answer (lets just say) "25"... It's up to you to know how to find '25' though. Heres how thats done.... left to right, top to bottom. So even if you have four TNI's w/6 ea. above, and then a punch-down block below - you're counting the TNI's too. "25" would be at the top of that block...

If it's not there you call them back and say that it wasn't there. (Or worse it wasn't the right number...) As soon as you say that, they are already running diagnostic on the line, pinging all the switches and the last board and VOP (Velocity of Propigation) via a built-in TDR from the last board and double checking from the last know VOP in thier computer. They can see shorts, open and lentgh of wire, and how many connections - just like that! (I usually chat these girls up - they are usually in another state, and desperate for human conversation.) They come back and say they're pretty sure its at the MPOE, and on that block... While they are saying that they are checking all the service records for that complete trunk and street board. While they are doing that - you say, "can you ring it for me?" If it's quiet enough, (and I'm close enough) I can pick it up in the toner. But if you have a few hundred pairs on a board and the line is lost - forget that!

After that, sometimes they will just give me a number (And you can tell that they are looking over their shoulder when they do...) or they expedite a tech, and sometime I get same day service... Thats where chatting them up earlier comes into play.

But if you have a dozen or more lines fax them a list, and they'll come out and tag them all, or send you a list back.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason