Thanks for the ideas guy's!

Actually, I tracked down the Verizon guy and got what I needed from him - and yes, I agree with not sharing publicly... Turns out the "majic numbers" are CO switch dependant - the ones I had were all for a #5ESS, and they are programmable!

The problem is a little more wierd now that I've dug into it. The DEMARC has 3 lines coming in, and 5 CAT3's going out. Lines go to a total of at least 8 dual RJ-11 jacks...

I opened the critical box; found 6 CAT3's - 3 of which were taped off. Started toning some pairs - R/G pair at DEMAC is B/Y at the critical jack box! Got L1 dial tone ok, but when I connect L2 at the DEMARC, it kills L1, and L2. Opend another dual RJ-11 box - 3 CAT3's R/G in connected to B/Y out etc.

Desired connections:
L1 and L2 to 3 2-line phones
L2 to 2 modems
L2 light on 2-line phones to show busy if either modem is active
Future - L1 and L2 to 2 more 2-line phones

In a clean-up walk-around, I discovered several taped splices, at least 2 wire nut splices, one "bean" splice, and one connection to a dial-up alarm "Oh that? We disconeected it a long time ago." "Got a key?" "Nope - lost it."

RJ-31X inside ?????

Did old DEMARC's use Yellow for ground????

Customer doesn't want to re-wire building - small (30 x 40) 2 floors - industrial office and plant control room - metal siding outside....

Hope my helper likes toning pairs...he'll get the outside - it's supposed to be up to 20 deg tomorrow!

And, I'm really there to start on a 2000A 3 phase 480 hookup - waiting on final specs... so I can order switchgear.....