Now I could have done the service change...the customer had already been "sold"...but would that have been ethical, when the problem was fixed in fifteen minutes?

I don't think it would necessarily be unethical had you changed the service. I think when it comes to ethics it is a matter of intent and whats truly in your heart that is the issue. I've never taken an ethics class or even looked up the term in the dictionary so I don't know if I'm adhearing to the proper meaning and if it would differ from making a moral choice or a distiction between what is right and wrong (and then you have to ask yourself "right or wrong in the eyes of whom?")

But had you changed the service and done it for the right reasons, people could call you a con or cheat, but it wouldn't necessarily make it so. What if you trully didn't trust the bend would restore the contact to the proper tension as it had when it was listed. That would come down to a difference of opinion or expertise, not an issue of morality .The guy said he was going to change it soon anyway, why would it be wrong to push his schedule?

But had you thought to yourself "ooooh, I could get this working for him now, but my needs are more important, and I got him where I want him" then in my mind, wrong. I believe it is the intent to do evil that makes it wrong, or the blantant disregard for what actually might be good is also evil. That's why these are important things to think about. I personally belive it is just as evil to intentionally do wrong as it is to say to oneself "I don't know and I don't care to make the effort to find out."