Come on...... how much do we really "need"?? Pose that question to a starving person in a war torn country and electricity in any form let alone NEC compliant power is probably pretty low on the list.

There is nothing wrong with making suggestions like, "ooh, that fan would be a little more convient with a wall speed control." or "you know, I can lighten this place up a little more with new fluorescents," or "your repair is done, but I couldn't help but notice your AC is improperly fused...."

What I think someone needs, what you think someone needs and what they think they need are probably all different things. It is one thing to be a good salesman. There is nothing wrong with having the skill to articulate your point of view well and sell extras to people. It only gets questionable when your point of view is a lie or you prey on the customer's fear of fire or electrocution to convince someone to do something agaist there will if you really don't think they need it.

I have found through experience that certain things are convienent, and certain things look nice. I have no problem suggesting those things.