Hi All, Great topic.
My Dad came to this country looking for work. Instead found my Mom and then a job...

He started working for my Mom's cousin who is an electrical contractor. My Dad worked hard and knew his stuff but due to his language barrier had difficulty with the theory. When I was around 6, he would take me to jobs. I would sit there and rip his tool puch apart as well as anything around it. As time went on I watched what was going on and started putting things together. Well you could imagine what happened, direct shorts, blown fuses, burnt toys.... not a good thing!!

Going through school I kinda had a feeling I was going to do this type of work. It wasn't until I went to high school that I learned about the vocational school which had an electric shop. Well, I went to shop all 4 years, graduated top in my class.

At graduation my Dad told me that I was going to go one of two things.... either go to college (which he didn't have the money for) of join the union.

I applied for apprenticeship and was placed 5th and eventually was call for work. That was in 1982. I did my schooling which was tougher than I thought. With the help of some great friends (which I will never forget) I got through and became a Journeyman Wireman.

I now am a licensed electrician, I run my own one man shop :-) as well as manage and maintain an electrical system ranging from 26,400 volts down to 24 volts dc.

Tough times have tought me the value of what I have. It is this value I thank my Dad for.

We miss you Dad, Rest in Peace.