I can tell you how I got started as an electrician, but the motivation to stick with it is a whole 'nuther story... Here goes....
My dad is an electrician, so growing up with the ol' man doin' stuff around the house, and he, naturaly needing a "go-fer", ment that I helped out on a lot of household projects. I got a really good lesson on the basic stuff from Dad. 'Bout lots of stuff, but quite alot about electrical stuff.
The motivation came when I was about 21 years old. I was laid off from the construction job I was working, and with a recomendation from a friend, got a job with a small electical contractor, on the other side of the state. I worked with them for 3 years, until Dad and I had a chance to start our own electical contracting firm back home. Now, after having been in business for a year and a half, we have 2 part-time employees, and a full time one starting in a month. Not bad for a kid and his ol' man in a small town in West Virginia...
But, as to the motivation... Electrical work is a nice combonation of lots of skills, and I'm lucky enough to be able to make them blend together very well, and do an excelant job, of the highest quality and finest workmanship. Most people notice that, and for that reason, I have lots of happy customers. Knowing that I did the best job I could do, and that the customer feels that they paid a reasonable price for great work, and will call me back, that is why I do what I do.