I used to share Dave's opinion, but I've learned to overcome it. I was affraid to charge more for an item than my customer could buy it at Home Depot. Sometimes even losing money on an item because I had to pay more than they could find it otherwise. Now I understand that to stay in business and cover all my expenses, I have to mark up materials. Much of our work is flat rate, so we don't even break out materials, but for our internal figures, the materials are marked up.

For items like dimmers and switches look at it this way. Lets say you're on a job and you need a device box. The closest place is a hardware store and they charge $1.80 for it, but you know you can get it at your supply house(15 miles away) for $.70. Do you complain or gladly pay and be thankfull you don't have to drive 15 miles and waste an hour. If you have any common sense, your overjoyed that the hardware store had that item on the shelf for 2 years waiting for you to buy it. Now consider that 4 way ivory decora switch you have on the truck, the one you bought last year, just in case. Now should you charge the $6 or $7 you have invested in it or should you charge $9 or on an item like this, maybe even $12. In this case the 4 way switch is to the homeowner like the device box was to you. They need it and you have it. Now if you don't have the switch and you charge them $75 an hour to drive and get it, then maybe you shouldn't mark it up.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 11-17-2004).]