Contrary to common sense...

The worst outfit I ever worked for was a contractor in West Bend, WI which is a state that has a CEU program. Masters test once per year. This guy was just blatant with violations, loved to play "fool the inspector": no boxes behind bath and outdoor fixtures, using NM connectors for split bugs (didn't use varnish cambric or 130C either, not even Scotch33... just the cheap stuff). Young guy too, and very intelligent. I can go on and on... What gets me is that this guy really did know better. He was known as "The Butcher" by the other local contractors and electricians.
I think I lasted a little over three weeks when I discovered that I had received a pay cut without notice. He got four hours of me changing around all the lines and loads in the switch boxes (not harmful, just annoying...) before I walked off. Bet it took them all day to fix that one... (why does this switch operate all those lights and the hall light only come on when...etc...)

However;
I'm in full agreement of getting any plan here though to improve things. Sticker shock for NEC compliant wiring is a big factor here, especially when the competition is joe carpenter who's willing to "do it for half that" sans code.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-13-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI