While I don't have any exact figures as far as I am aware the number of deaths by electrocution in Western Europe is quite low per 1000 people. I wouldn't think that the UK's are any worse / better than most other EU countries.

Remember that many other EU countries have far stricter regulation than the UK on a whole range of issues. I don't think it's at all fair to call non-UK European regs "mickey mouse" From a German/Swiss/French/Scandinavian perspective one could equally point at many aspects of the UK system and call it "mickeymouse".

Many British commentators seem to base their view of non-British electrical systems entirely on one bad experience with a French Gite (rented converted farm building) with 1930s wiring or on a very very very cheap holiday apartment in Spain.

However, getting back to the thread, I would be interested to see if damaged ring circuits caused by DIY botching leads to an increased number of house fires. Although, I doubt that data would be as easy to find as deaths due to electrocution.

To give you the Irish 2002 (latest I could find) statistics:

Fatal Accidents invloving electricity : 4
Locations:
Field (Farm): 2
Building under construction : 1
Electrical Substation (indoor) : 1

Voltage level:
380/220V (LV) : 1
10/20kV (MV) : 3

Equipment involved:

Overhead line : 2
Transformer: 1