I don't like to throw a spanner in the works

You're welcome. Rather you today than someone else tomorrow. [Linked Image]

The thing is that Britain doesn't have to be included in the system. I'm more interested in countries like India.

There is no need to replace the BS 1363 plug today in Britain, but you could introduce a new plug for heavy appliances only, 13A-16A. In thirty years one might reconsider this. Even suggesting replacement to a wider audience will probably get you a Sun-burn... [Linked Image]

1) Possible overloading of the socket, as I assume that multi-socket adapters & power strips would also be unfused & fed by a 30/32A fuse or breaker.

If the Americans and Australians can get by without having a overcurrent device that corresponds to the socket rating, why would it not work in the rest of the world? There is no problem with designing the socket so that the terminals can handle the load. If it works with the current sockets, why wouldn't it with the new?

No, I'm going to propose the introduction of overload/overheat protection and primitive short-circuit protection on power strips and cable reels. It hasn't anything to do with a new plug, it should be on the current unfused systems.

2) No sockets in the first & last 20% of the circuit would be very difficult to achieve in practice and almost impossible for retrofit applications, where sockets are just being replaced with the new standard.

Yes, but the same requirement effectively applies to BS1363 sockets today. One single socket can be placed closer to the ends.

3)You state that a 32A B type mcb will adequately protect a 1.5mm cord, what about the more common 0.75mm cords or even 0.5mm cords still found here?

It will if the cord is corresponding shorter. (About 10 m for the 0.5 mm2 cord)

The risk is in fact greater with an ordinary 16A type C circuit. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

There is also the problem that an enormous proportion of UK installations still have primitive rewirable fuses "protecting" the circuits, with no rcd protection at all. This situation will persist for some years to come. If a homeowner/diyer decided to change their sockets to the "Neoplug" type on one of these installations, it could be quite hazardous.

Include an instruction sheet informing that you may not do this and the reasons. I doubt there will be a rush to replace sockets. If people do, it will be to hook up the new washing machine, which has a short and heavy cord.