I agree with David on the fusing. If we are going to keep a 30/32A ring, then there must be fusing either in the wall socket or the plug. Those 0.5mm lamp flexes (and their pre-metric equivalents) are still pretty common.

I think you all know by now that I'd like to see ring circuits abandoned [Linked Image], but even if they were removed from our "regs" today, they would still be in use for many, many years.

Selling a fused version of the "Neoplug" outlet for the U.K. market would be a possibility, although each socket would have to be fused at 13A so you'd lose the closer protection of lower-rated fuses for the smaller cords.

You can also bet that the average DIY bodger would be quite likely to go around the house and fit unfused versions to an existing ring (the fused versions being peculiar to the U.K. and produced in smaller quantities would inevitably be more expensive). That's down to his ignorance, of course, and I'm not suggesting that as a reason not to go ahead with the plan -- I'm just looking at the possibilities.

In some homes it might be possible to split a ring into two 16/20A radial circuits which might be an option for conversion to a new system, but it's not always going to be easy. Right from the beginning, the domestic ring circuit has been allowed to feed a floor area of up to 1000 sq. ft. (later 100 sq. meters), and there are still plenty of houses where just one ring feeds every socket.

On the NEMA plugs, I agree that there are some which are a bit flimsy, but then I've seen some poor quality BS1363 stuff too. Good quality NEMA connectors are fine.

What I like is the way that the pin configurations permit suitable connections and restrict others, i.e. a 5-15 receptacle (standard 120V 15A) will accept a non-polarized two-pin plug, a polarized two-pin plug, or a 3-pin grounding plug. All three 15A plugs will also fit a 20A receptacle, but not vice versa.

Twist the pins around and the same applies to 240V outlets.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-08-2003).]