There is no shortage of "How To" books in Britain. Library shelves and book stores are filled with them, including many electrical ones.

I've often borrowed the latter from my local library to see what advice they offer, and I've found that the advice varies from quite good to downright misleading. The ones which annoy me the most are those which are written with the assumption that somebody is starting with a modern house which was wired using the methods predominating in the last 20 years or so. They often omit any reference to earlier methods, and I would have thought that these are the houses most likely to be "attacked" by the DIYer.

On the limited license issue, I'm still not sure that it would work. It might sound like to a good way to ensure that the person doing work on his house has at least some basic knowledge, but most people will just ignore it anyway. It is illegal to install ones own gas pipework in a house in the U.K., but that doesn't stop people from doing it.

I can see a limited license scheme just becoming another layer of cumbersome bureaucracy that ends up costing thousands without really achieving anything. We have more than enough of those schemes already.