ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Freakin' Cold II - 03/03/06 01:55 PM
Well Kiwi,
It's freezing here when it should be nice and warm.
I can only blame Pauluk for this. [Linked Image]
The reason being, he submitted some pictures last year of the English weather, cold as it looked, we had warm weather here.
No pictures now and look at what we have.
Bad South-westerlies and no real rain.
We've gone from Summer straight into Winter, no Autumn, the leaves haven't even had time to fall off the trees!.
{Just pulling your leg Paul}
Our weather is becoming more like an English Summer every year.
Posted By: ianh Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/03/06 05:44 PM
Well Trumpy, if it makes you feel any better is was -10oC over on my little island last night, and I believe the UK was pretty chilly too.

Not a real extreme I know, but that is cold by our normal standards...
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/03/06 10:25 PM
Too right, it's hovered round 30-40F [-1 to +5 C] here since before Xmas, and we are practically sitting next to the Gulf Stream. Snow yesterday. We've gone through 250 gallons of diesel since October, nearly twice our normal use and had to buy in another 3 steyres of firewood, as next-year's woodpile is still not dried out properly.

Aye, but it's not as cold as t'were when I were a youngun! By 'eck! T'were that cold back in't old days- We used t'set fire to us clogs to defost our legs before hobblin' off t'mill at 3 o'clock in't mornin'. And there were 13 on us living in a cardboard box. It caught fire eventually, a'course.
Electrical fault, apparently.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/04/06 02:57 AM
Mike,
You may have to shift to Auckland,
Average temp over 20°C or 68 F since mid Nov 2005. [Linked Image]
Ok, we have traffic problems here...? [Linked Image]
and an overloaded power grid too...! [Linked Image]
but...
it is warmer.. [Linked Image]
CU up north one day.
Regards Ray

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kiwi Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/04/06 11:38 AM
Yup Trumpy, autumns here!

Rodalco, it'll be a cold day in Christchurch before we relocate to Auckland just to avoid some frost [Linked Image]

It maybe warmer in Auckland, but the motorway is always freezing up! And judging by tonights result; so is the rugby team. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/04/06 01:43 PM
No pictures now and look at what we have.

In the interests of Kiwi-Brit relations, maybe these will help improve the N.Z. weather! [Linked Image]

Eccles on Sea, Norfolk, 2/28/06
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 03-04-2006).]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/04/06 08:55 PM
Paul

pic. #2

Golfer; Eccles-on-sea course, 15th green:

"Look at that idiot fishing off the breakwater in this weather!"
Posted By: Uppeydog Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/04/06 11:00 PM
You'll have to invent a Snowboard / Surfboard!......A Snurfboard!
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/05/06 09:35 PM
Looks similar to our situation. Slightly below freezing and all snow.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/06/06 08:15 AM
Dammit,
Have I shot myself in the foot again!.
Upon Paul posting them pics, the wind changed to the Nor'west and we have had multiple Scrub Fires (K66 Ray).
It's been a gambling game to keep the Pump Rescue free, in case some idiot tries and drives a Campervan across the Canterbury Plains.
I'm just glad no-one asked for a Chopper, to help fight the fires, it would have been absolute suicide flying in these conditions.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/06/06 01:14 PM
Is that outside your front gate Paul?.
Looks rough!.
Get back inside!, I'd hate you to fall on your a*** (behind) wow such a contrast in temperatures.
Stand-by for some pics from this end. [Linked Image]
Although I may jinx the NZ weather, who cares?.
You get what you get.
Thanks for the pics Paul!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/06/06 04:32 PM
Yes, that's my road in the first pic. The second pic is the dunes which are right behind the houses. I can walk from my backyard over the top of the dunes and down on to the beach (you can just about see a strip of sand there between the foam and the snow!).

Good news though is that the last couple of days it's warmed up, and almost all the snow has melted now. It's a little breezy, but bright sunshine and not at all unpleasant. At 4:30 p.m. the temperature is up to a balmy 45 degrees!
Posted By: pauluk Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/06/06 04:34 PM
"Look at that idiot fishing off the breakwater in this weather!"

That's actually just a vary tall post on the breakwater structure, but you'd be surprised how many people do sit down there fishing in all weathers. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/06/06 07:38 PM
My oldest lad's house backs onto a golf course, which is how I know that whatever Mother Nature throws at us, a golfer will be out in it. As to the intrepid 'beach casters', I used to be one, thinking nothing of flinging 8oz of lead down Chesil Beach in a Force 9 or floating for wrasse off the cliffs at Portland Bill come hail or driving rain. Still got all the gear, but now mostly go oystering with Georges at St Malo, much less strenuous and guaranteed a good scoff afterwards! Last month, one of 'em worked!!

Alan
Posted By: kiwi Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/08/06 09:27 AM
Pauluk, does anyone surf round there in summer? Whats the water temperature?
Posted By: Check Pilot Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/09/06 12:14 AM
Trumpy,

A few photo's of a Winnipeg, Manitoba winter are on the way to you

Cheers,

Dave
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Freakin' Cold II - 03/09/06 02:17 AM
Yeah mate,
They are over here .
Sorry I never saw this post.
© ECN Electrical Forums