ECN Forum
Posted By: C-H Blackout in Sweden and Denmark - 09/23/03 12:10 PM
The southern part of Sweden and large parts of Denmark, including Copenhagen, lost power earlier today when the national grid in the area collapsed. It is the largest blackout in the area since 1983.

The grid operator hopes to restore power during the day.

At the moment, the Swedes quote "unknown reasons" while the Danes blame the Swedes.

BBC: Danish capital loses power

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 09-23-2003).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Blackout in Sweden and Denmark - 09/23/03 12:45 PM
I guess you folk up there were fed up with London and North America getting all the attention and had to join in, right? [Linked Image]

Seriously though, we do seem to be getting rather a run on power problems recently.
Posted By: djk Re: Blackout in Sweden and Denmark - 09/23/03 01:52 PM
Could be some kind of solar / magentic phenomonin ?
Posted By: PaulCornwall Re: Blackout in Sweden and Denmark - 09/23/03 09:06 PM
I recon its aliens... got to be..

or a consprisey therory????

is that spelt right??
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Blackout in Sweden and Denmark - 09/23/03 11:16 PM
Gotta’ be another flying-saucer crash.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Blackout in Sweden and Denmark - 09/23/03 11:27 PM
I think you meant "conspiracy." [Linked Image]

Funtion you should mention aliens from down in Cornwall. When I was living in the county there were some people who experienced all sorts of electrical problems in their homes and cars around the Redruth area, and believed aliens were responsible!
Posted By: sparky Re: Blackout in Sweden and Denmark - 09/24/03 12:40 AM
somebody ougtha call Mz. Weaver.....
[Linked Image from poster.net]
Posted By: C-H Re: Blackout in Sweden and Denmark - 09/24/03 02:40 PM
Now the investigators have to admit it was a Swedish problem. [Linked Image] It started when the Oskarshamn 3 nuclear reactor (1200MW) was shut down due to a minor problem with a valve. This would not have been an issue, had not a disco failed in another part on the grid just five minutes later. The latter fault meant that the other reactors which were supposed to compensate for the fault went off the grid too. Total loss of production was 3000 MW, too much for the grid to handle.

Part of the problem is that many power plants are still closed for the summer.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 09-24-2003).]
© ECN Electrical Forums