ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Does this Cover require Bonding? - 07/24/03 05:59 PM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Does the NEC require bonding of this metal cover?

Joe Tedesco
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Does this Cover require Bonding? - 07/24/03 06:55 PM
The vault is more likely under the jurisdiction of the National Electrical Safety Code, as is a lot of utility-owned stuff. Even though {at least} the lid’s frame should be grounded/bonded, I have never used one that had a grounding terminal—much less seen a detail called out in precast-concrete specs.
Posted By: electure Re: Does this Cover require Bonding? - 07/24/03 11:25 PM
I've seen lots of "lids" like this one supplied with a kind of horseshoe shaped piece of metal with a tapped hole in it, obviously meant for a grounding lug.
This looks like phone cable????
The marking on the cover looks like "DOT" as in Department of Transportation.
Joe, give us a clue...S
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Does this Cover require Bonding? - 07/25/03 02:11 AM
Electure:

That's what DOT stands for and the conductors are associated with street lighting, signals, and lighting on the turnpikes in New Jersey.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Does this Cover require Bonding? - 07/25/03 07:12 PM
Joe:
FYI, in NJ the State has exclusive jurisdiction for all electrical work on State property.
This includes, GSP, NJTpk, ACExp, NJ Transit, including the train stations, the rest areas on the toll roads, and the Interstate and State Highways (DOT)and probably a 1000 other places that I can't remember. The plan review, permit approvals, and inspections are by DCA people.

John
Posted By: sparky Re: Does this Cover require Bonding? - 07/26/03 09:45 PM
i know this to be a point of dispute, with a body count to fuel it as well....

250.96 is good enough for me here.

the 'utlity' trump card is bogus, it has long been the proverbial pot/kettle scenario when in fact it should be the goose/gander one.
© ECN Electrical Forums