ECN Forum
HINT: There are some foreign systems that are installed directly over the equipment.

[Linked Image]

NOTE: As this area is sometimes used as a reference for Vocational studies we request that comments be kept to the subject as much as possible. Thank You for your cooperation in this matter.
Well, to start off, I see what appears to be copper water lines in the area above the switchgear and wire gutter. A run for the hills is in order if the piping springs a leak...

Mike (mamills)
While the water pipe is a code violation, I don't really see it as much of a hazard. In my opinion, the roof above the gear is much more likely to leak than is the water pipe.
Don
If I remember right, attatching conduit to other conduit does constitute support! The conduit going into the panel in the rear of the photo also seems to be lacking support in a big way! (2 out of 7 supported within 3 feet?)

Also there is the open wireway midway up the right side of the pic.

I hope they didn't think of the rigid arches as nipples, and fill to 60%!

Now onto clearence:
There seems to be conduit directly in front of the hinged cover of a wireway by the previously mentioned copper.

I don't have the bible on me (for shame for shame [Linked Image] ), but I know there a number of subsections relating to overhead clearance. There is language about foreign systems allowed and not allowed to be above electrical equipment. (to quote the hint [Linked Image] ) Can't think of the rules or the exceptions off the top of my head (jost got home from work, the brain's tired [Linked Image] ).

What else am I missing?
Heck, that's no surprise. I don't think I've EVER seen a switchgear room that wasn't filled with out-of-season merchandise, didn't have HVAC, Plbg., etc. running through it, and also had both exits usable!
I suppose that the part that puzzles me are the fire sprinklers typically installed above NEMA-1 gear. Overload leads to heat, which trips sprinkler, which begins Great White-type pyrotechnics....
I don’t see any support for the rigid conduit loops between gutters. Both sets have strut and straps to keep them in line but I do not see any threaded rod up to the structure.
© ECN Electrical Forums