ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Fire Rating? - 07/08/05 11:04 AM
In a firewall, I have to use rated steel boxes for my electrical work. Doesn't the use of these "data rings" by the low voltage crowd destroy the rating of that firewall?

Renosteinke

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hbiss Re: Fire Rating? - 07/08/05 01:21 PM
Have to admit even I am guilty of that from time to time. [Linked Image]

I would say yes, a steel box should be used depending on the rating of the wall and the proximity to any other boxes.

-Hal
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Fire Rating? - 07/08/05 02:09 PM
When I was doing "Data" we had to respect "penetrations" just like everyone else. The problem is data doesn't usually get permitted/inspected. You will get caught by the life safety inspector, usually as part of an unrelated inspection.
In the case of this picture he would be looking at the exit light and say "that ain't gonna work" when he sees the other hole in his firewall.
Posted By: FrankC Re: Fire Rating? - 07/18/06 11:38 PM
Don't get caught defeating the rating of a firewall. The liability of that is NOT worth it.
Go to Hilti.com, and look under firestop products. There is some good info there.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Fire Rating? - 07/20/06 07:40 AM
Renosteinke:

Doesn't the use of these "data rings" by the low voltage crowd destroy the rating of that firewall?

Heck ya, it does!!!

Typical installations in my area (Southern California), for _ANY OUTLETS_ in rated walls / lids, is as follows:\

<OL TYPE=A>

[*] The outlet would be (compatible to) a 4s box, with a 1 (or 2) Gang Ring mounted to it,

[*] The 4s Box would be covered with a "Fire Pad",

[*] The Low Voltage Cabling would enter the box via 3/4" EMT, which extends "Outside" of the rated wall / area.
</OL>

Scott35
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Fire Rating? - 07/22/06 11:45 AM
*** BUMP-A-DEE-BUMP ***

Bumping zee Thread up again for discussion-ary purposes!

`El-Scotto35

[Linked Image]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Fire Rating? - 07/22/06 04:09 PM
Scott, my original intention in posting this pic was two-fold:

I wanted to illistrate the importance of knowing more than just "your" part of the code; and,

I wanted to shame some data guys out there into actually thinking about how they're supposed to do things- as opposed to using all the short-cuts they've been able to get away with, as their work takes place after the inspector has left!
Posted By: hbiss Re: Fire Rating? - 07/22/06 11:10 PM
You are wasting your time. Data guys, better known as computer geeks, have no shame.

-Hal
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Fire Rating? - 07/23/06 12:05 AM
Hal,
You are wasting your time. Data guys, better known as computer geeks, have no shame.

[Linked Image]

It's only after a fire that these things are picked up by investigators.
Fire-walls aren't put there for the sheer fun of it.
These people should be made an example of. [Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Fire Rating? - 07/23/06 02:43 AM
Part of my job was to teach them some shame ... or at least to get the problem fixed and get their boss a bill.
Posted By: trobb Re: Fire Rating? - 07/23/06 11:29 PM
I must admit that, as a data geek, we often forget things, however, the school I am in (MATC, Madison, Wisconsin) has as part of it's CCNA/Networking Degree program a course that has a week on fire-stopping, etc. Covers cable penetrations and conduit penetrations. Also includes a brief note on the firestops used in wood homes. One of the main things my prof drilled into our heads? When in doubt, ask. I'm not saying that makes us kings of fire ratings, but it at least makes us note them.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Fire Rating? - 07/31/06 07:39 AM
Good point trobb,
Knowing that there could be a problem down the track, is being half-way towards preventing it.
Those that carry on regardless are a worry though. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums