ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Shoild This Be Removed?? - 05/28/03 12:34 PM
[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

Do you think that this type of wiring, left abandonded, should be removed if not in use or at least tagged or otherwise identified to indicate that it should not be energized?

I think I saw a rule in NFPA 1, does anyone have that publication so that we can compare the rule calling for removal?
Posted By: Ron Re: Shoild This Be Removed?? - 05/28/03 01:12 PM
NFPA 1 Uniform Fire Code 2003 Edition
"11.1.4 Permanent wiring abandoned in place shall be tagged or otherwise identified at its termination and junction points as “Abandoned in Place” or removed from all accessible areas and insulated from contact with other live electrical wiring or devices."
Posted By: sparky Re: Shoild This Be Removed?? - 05/29/03 08:57 PM
That's actually better looking that 1/2 the stuff that is in use here.

Tagging (actually i would use permanent marker) would seem an easy request
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Shoild This Be Removed?? - 05/29/03 10:02 PM
For some areas, one approach might be a sign: "Keep Out -- Security Alarm Power." That could almost guarantee off-hours 'demolition'.
Posted By: Roger Re: Shoild This Be Removed?? - 05/29/03 11:14 PM
What defines "abandoned"? Is the meter pulled only until the next tenant apply's for power?

Roger
Posted By: LoneStar Re: Shoild This Be Removed?? - 06/13/03 06:19 AM
hey , i could use that ol stuff at the farm!! LOL thats what my plumber buddy always says when he looks in back of my truck and sees ancient artifacts of electrical history [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by LoneStar (edited 06-13-2003).]
Posted By: GEO Re: Shoild This Be Removed?? - 06/16/03 01:05 PM
have asked this many times,sometimes it causes attitude from some for asking.I--would require it to be removed, based on the PMC ,install and maintained in safe approved manner and 100i is required. GEO
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Shoild This Be Removed?? - 06/25/03 02:10 AM
I am sure that the utility will be happy to remove their feeders- if they haven't already.
The new code requires 100 amp service- so a service change is in the future for this location (the meter ring shown is only rated for 60 amps).
© ECN Electrical Forums