ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Laundry room GFCI? - 01/30/03 10:46 PM
A new home has a single receptacle for the washing machine. The owner has been unplugging it to use the iron. The laundry sink is next to the washer (obviously). GFCI protection is not called for in 210.8. The receptacle can be replaced with a duplex. Should a GFCI be installed, anyway?
(I'm thinking yes.)
Posted By: txsparky Re: Laundry room GFCI? - 01/31/03 02:40 AM
GFCI gets my vote !
Posted By: smokey Re: Laundry room GFCI? - 01/31/03 02:48 AM
i second that motion gfci being that they are using the receptacle for iron next to sink how close to sink is receptacle??
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Laundry room GFCI? - 01/31/03 08:14 AM
...and how close is the iron to the sink!!!

Does a washing machine tend to trip GFCIs?
Posted By: Redsy Re: Laundry room GFCI? - 01/31/03 11:43 AM
The sink is next to the washer. The iron will only be as far as the cord will allow.
I know the thoughts behind GFCI on washers & refrigerators, but I've also heard that the motors are required to pass strict ground leakage tests, which would keep the "trickle" belolw GFCI thresholds.
That said, I'd rather try a GFCI on a washer than a refrigerator where the food would spoil if a tripped GFCI was left unnoticed.
Posted By: sparky Re: Laundry room GFCI? - 01/31/03 11:51 AM
I'd vote yes also, with consideration of placement.

It would be nice to have the GFI visible above the washer, or a nearby GFI breaker in the panel.

just a thought......
Posted By: Elec_VA Re: Laundry room GFCI? - 02/04/03 03:39 AM
All I can think is that Water + Electricity = GFCI. A little CYA goes a long way.
Posted By: Elzappr Re: Laundry room GFCI? - 02/04/03 06:49 PM
The outlet is readily accessible and its normal use is for both ironing as well as for the washer. I don't see any way around the requirement for garage outlet gfci protection. If its not in the garage, then I don't see any requirement for a gfci. But I would put one in anyway!
Posted By: Sparks30 Re: Laundry room GFCI? - 02/22/03 12:30 PM
I have a GFI on my washing machine. I've lived here for two years and have not had it trip once. Hope this helps with your decision.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Laundry room GFCI? - 02/22/03 07:27 PM
If the question comes down to A) Is it required? or B) Would I install a GFCI? Then most people who know the dangers of electricity would put the GFCI in this location. However it might not be required as per the NEC.
Posted By: sparky Re: Laundry room GFCI? - 02/22/03 10:20 PM
good call Harold.

i find many freezers, washers, dryers etc ain dirtfloor/stonewall basements here.

They have a rust line like a 72' Toyota from the enviroment they exist in

what would you say to the mighty AFCI's introduction here??
© ECN Electrical Forums