ECN Forum
Posted By: tmon Cable bending - 10/09/01 11:49 PM
Can anyone direct me to a chart or table that gives some direction on or about low voltage (600v or less) cable bending radii? Thanks, Tom
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Cable bending - 10/10/01 12:11 AM
Tom,

I don't have a list or chart, but you can look in the NEC under each cable type if that helps.

AC - 333-8 5x diameter
MC - 334-11(a)(b)(c)- depends on type
NM - 336-16 5x diameter
SE/USE - 338-6 5x diameter
etc.

Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Cable bending - 10/10/01 02:19 AM
This reminds me of a Q that is related...

Let's take #12-2-G NM Cable (Romex) for instance...

336-16 states that bends in NM Cable shall have a radius 5 times the diameter of the cable.

With 12-2-G being flat does this translate to a bending radius of 2-1/2" (5 x 1/2" wide)? The same circumference as a 5" hole saw?!?!?

I don't "square off" my corners, but I don't think I leave quite that large of a "sweep" in the cable around corners either...

Am I reading to much into this again?
Posted By: Redsy Re: Cable bending - 10/10/01 12:27 PM
sparky66wv,
I wouldn't sweat it. What about the conductors connected to the devices in the boxes. They mostly all would violate the radii. Although this is may not technically be "cable". I don't square off corners, either, and am conscious of the radii, but most installations on the side of a stud which goes through a bored hole violate this.
Posted By: WARREN1 Re: Cable bending - 10/11/01 12:14 PM
A curious question concerning Romex. If you had to run the Romex in conduit, how would you determine the conduit fill? Is the area given on the box (or whatever) when it is purchased? The area can be calculated, but??
I realize Romex is usually not run in conduit, but there may be instances where it could be used.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Cable bending - 10/11/01 12:20 PM
Warren,
You have to do your own area calculations for romex using the major dimension for the calculations. See note 9 to Table 1 in Chapter 9.
Don(resqcapt19)
© ECN Electrical Forums