ECN Forum
Posted By: triple clearance from gas meter and regulator - 02/24/15 02:28 AM
Am I correct that there is no regulation concerning the proximity of an outdoor receptacle to a gas meter/regulator?
Posted By: Tesla Re: clearance from gas meter and regulator - 02/24/15 09:47 AM
Locally, a gas Service and an electric Service have to stay three-feet away from each other.

I can't say as I've EVER run across the issue.

But then, I work the commercial side of the street.

I'm always surprised about what's gotten by residential inspection.

... and service call 'improvements'...

Originally Posted by triple
Am I correct that there is no regulation concerning the proximity of an outdoor receptacle to a gas meter/regulator?

No, you need 3 feet of clearance from the regulator vent in any direction. This is a Gas Code Regulation.

Here is one Gas Companies rules...

https://pse.com/accountsandservices/Construction/Documents/3885.pdf

Page 4 has electrical specs...

I once had a situation where we couldn't get the full 3ft of clearance for a utility meter and the plumber piped the vent away from the regulator to comply.

I see that there is some variation in requirements from place to place.

Some places would consider a receptacle as a possible source of a spark. Others would not worry.

Some places would measure from the regulator, while some rules speak of the entire assembly.

And, of course, requirements have changed over time. For example, Reno, Nv., used to require the gas meter and the electric meter to be clustered together today there is a separation requirement. This detail can greatly complicate service changes.

Isn't it amazing how utilities have no problem posting their standards on the internet for free access- while the NFPA screams that no codes are possible unless they have a legal monopoly? Hmmm .... but I wander laugh
Posted By: gfretwell Re: clearance from gas meter and regulator - 02/24/15 09:27 PM
It is interesting that the International Gas Code says this in reference to roof top installations

306.5.2 Electrical requirements. A receptacle outlet shall be provided at or near the appliance location in accordance with NFPA 70. [M]

I don't see anything about clearance
That would be the appliance, not the gas service.

Where it might matter is in your placement of the A/C disconnect and service receptacle, in relation to the gas service.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: clearance from gas meter and regulator - 02/25/15 02:13 AM
That was all I found but I will keep looking.
The gas code is written like the NEC but different. Things don't just jump out at you. Anyone have an article number?

I have not seen it discussed around here.
I have seen the regulation in Gas Company specifications rather than code. Most that you can review online specify 3 feet of clearance from sources of ignition.

Or maybe...

National Fuel Gas Code 54-5.7.2.3
Posted By: gfretwell Re: clearance from gas meter and regulator - 02/25/15 06:25 AM
5.7.2.3 Gas meters shall be located at least 3 ft (0.9 m) from sources of ignition

I am not sure that means "receptacle".
Sure it does. If someone were to plug in a piece of electrical equipment at the receptacle while it was in the on position, there would be an arc at the connection point.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: clearance from gas meter and regulator - 02/25/15 05:44 PM
3.3.59.2 Sources ofIgnition. Appliances or equipment that,
because of their intended modes of use or operation, are
capable of providing sufficient thermal energy to ignite
flammable gas-air mixtures.

I suppose if receptacles are used as disconnects in "their intended modes of use or operation" this might apply but it is clear the NFPA 54 people don't talk to the NFPA 70 people very often. wink
I am still not sure why a gas meter, piped in with threaded black iron pipe is more likely to leak than a space heater hooked to a bent up piece of CSST but I guess that is why I am not the plumbing inspector.
Greg, it's not a question of the meter "leaking." Rather, it's a concern over the gas that is naturally released as part of the operation of the regulator, or if the diaphragm in the regulator should fail.

Keep in mind that the regulator at the meter is there to reduce the pressure from the main. This is a much higher pressure than the pressure seen at the appliance.
© ECN Electrical Forums