ECN Forum
Posted By: Yoopersup Article 511 Required sealing - 11/14/11 05:52 PM
If a conduit does Not pass thur a Classified
area sealing is Not required.
See page 771 Exhibit 511.1.
If a conduit comes from Outside the building goes up to 28inches then enters a box inside a poured concrete wall it never enters the classified area. Thus Seal not required.
Whatca think??
Same as example on page 771 but conduit comes from outside & stays inside the outer wall.
Yoopers
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 11/14/11 08:09 PM
IMHO, you are correct, no seal required.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 11/19/11 04:10 AM
Done???
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 11/19/11 07:01 PM
It sounded pretty done to me but you probably still need some duct seal to prevent the cold air, condensation thing. That is not a real seal off tho.
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 11/20/11 08:55 PM
Thanks guys it just what I figured ,
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 11/21/11 11:11 PM
Just got written up by Local Inspector for doing it.
Guess 90.4 comes into play!
Yoopersup
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 11/21/11 11:46 PM
It all gets down to what is "inside". (which side of the wall is the border).
I can put my "flush mounted jelly jar" hat on and see his point. We call the outside wall the border there and let them use Romex to a dry location octagon box.
He must be saying the conduit is traveling through the classified location, inside the wall.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 11/22/11 02:37 AM
I take Yoops job from the OP as the box and conduit being encased in a poured concrete wall. I can't see how that can be 'in' the classified area, also with the dimensions he posted.

On that thought, unprotected service conductors encased in 2" of concrete are 'outside the structure'. Although Yoop did not provide wall thickness dimensions, or a conduit size. it sounds like it could be 2"+ encased in poured concrete.

Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 11/22/11 02:52 PM
Right he says even thought its in 2 inches Concrete coming from outside its in classified area. I disagree. \
Conduit comes below ground up Outside poured wall to Panel.
I know this area was revised in 2005 but I didn;t find that deleted??
Yoopersup
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 11/22/11 09:16 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 11/23/11 02:47 AM
Yoop:
A pic is worth 1000s of words. What you refered to as a 'box' is a troff, with feeders (or service), not what I thought was a 'device box'.

From the pic...yes, it is in concrete....but, NOT inside the wall; that may be why you bought a red sticker.

Personally, from what I see in the pic...I would not have any issue.

What Article did the AHJ write the violation on??
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 11/23/11 02:31 PM
The walls are Acrylic Membrane as its only a temp. structure and there well never be True walls. Thus the concrete section. as in the photo.
Wrote it for going thur classified area without sealing . Did not list code section.It was not written on me but to contractor on site.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 11/28/11 02:55 PM
I agree with John, that the service wires are encased in concrete so that they are "not in the building". We have to use that technique to get service conductors into the building along a wall into the service equipment. When the service equipment isn't real close to the point of entry.
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 12/01/11 10:46 PM
The Inspector said if you remove the Concrete it would be OK. According to him the Concrete brought the Floor level up to the top of the concrete??????
90.4 I guess.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Article 511 Required sealing - 12/02/11 02:08 AM
So, based on that 'logic' the vapors sorta balance themselves on the top of the concrete??? The vapor that was at the floor level where the concrete is magically 'jump'. (Where are the smiley faces)

I hate to say this, but if I received a red tag with that flimsy reasoning....it would time to go to the Board of Appeals. I know that doing so could end up putting me in a 'bad taste' with this AHJ, but this is crazy.

© ECN Electrical Forums