ECN Forum
Posted By: HotLine1 Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 03/27/07 10:19 PM
Are there any localities/states that have made an amendment to accept 8x8 reinforcement wire for the equipotential grid around a pool??
We have a 'buzz' going around here in NJ, but nothing official, in writing yet that I'm aware of.

John
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 03/28/07 03:31 AM
Florida is bouncing that around as we speak. Most are saying no.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 03/28/07 11:23 AM
Greg:
I thought I saw that somewhere on the threads, Thanks.

A few pool contractors (EC's) over the last few days said the state (NJ) had a 'memo' out. I have not seen it, nor has anyone else.

Do the guys in your area have the pool builder do it, or does the EC 'build' the grid? My opinion, it should be part & parcel of the pool builder, and the EC should be responsible to properly install the bond.

John
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 03/28/07 03:25 PM
The way we are starting to see the grid here is they keep coming with the #3 rebar up past the tie beam on the pool shell, 3' out for the pool deck.
https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s201/inspector830/Picture004.jpg
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 03/31/07 04:37 PM
I don't know....three (3) replies, AND 344 views?????

Anyone else have any comments???

Guess Greg & I are IT????

John
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 03/31/07 08:59 PM
I don't think most people have really read all of the changes to 680 and actually figured out what it means. I know it seemed like a shock to Florida once they actually read it (after adoption of course)
The new requirement does use the word "rods" (608.23(C)(1)) and that does preclude wire mesh. This is being revisited in 2008 and it may allow a single ring of 8 copper to bpnd the deck mesh. Around here we don't even see that much mesh. It is fiber in the concrete.
Posted By: iwire Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 04/01/07 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by HotLine1

I am one of the views but I really do not know much about this subject.

Article 680 is not one I feel very confident commenting on.

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 04/01/07 03:36 PM
Bob:
A truly wise man speaks only on familiar items.

Thank you.

PS: I'm not a 680 'maven' either, but it's turning into a hot topic here.

John
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 04/03/07 01:14 AM
It will get revisited in 2008 and if I read the ROC right we will be able to bond the deck with a single #8 copper loop, connected to the shell in 4 places. The depth of this wire sounds a bit confusing to me. What does
4-6" below sub grade
mean?
Posted By: ausador Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 04/03/07 04:31 AM
4-6" below the grade of the pool deck of course. The pool deck being the finished grade and the sub grade being the bottom of the pool deck.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 04/03/07 06:09 AM
So this wire is not in the concrete at all? How does it get bonded? That is certainly a 180 degree reversal. In 2005 you need a 12x12 #8 copper mesh if you don't have 12x12 rebar. I am guessing this is really to bond the dirt under pavers but it sure doesn't read that way.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 04/03/07 11:23 AM
Rumor again has it that wire mesh 'may' be acceptable. Not laying on soil/fill, 2' of concrete above/below. Tie wire at any 'splices' of mesh; one cell overlap;etc

As there are NO listed clamps (that anyone is aware of) for bonding mesh; tie wiring to rebar may be acceptable.

Bottom line...AHJ call. Nothing official, only speculation, discussion, & rumor.

John
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 04/06/07 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by HotLine1

wink All the views are because of your negative lead-in headline. I think we all took a peak to what this bad subject is that you are bringing up. Kind of like why people watch Jerry Springer.

wink Effiective tactic though... sells newspapers and gets viewings.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 04/07/07 01:54 AM
JPS:
No intention of a negative lead-in 'headline', and views & papers are of no interest to me either.

Here in NJ, this has been a 'BAD' subject, & there is still a lot of confusion and rumors floating around.

John
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Not to bring up a bad subject...but - 04/07/07 04:54 AM
I understood immediatly where Hot was going with this. The same issue is still being argued about in Florida where there are "no local exceptions" (the NEC is adopted, unaltered, statewide, by law) but there are still local "interpretations". We still have AHJs who say mesh is, or should be, OK.
© ECN Electrical Forums