ECN Forum
Posted By: Steve T 210.70(A)(3) - 04/21/06 09:56 PM
Multi-family dwelling unit. Basement storage with 11- 40 sq ft apx. separate storage sections.

Is a separate light and switch required in each section or is external lighting in the common basement area good enough?
Posted By: George Little Re: 210.70(A)(3) - 04/22/06 02:17 AM
At the risk of being a smart A** I'd say what ever is called out on the plan is what I would look for on inspection. I don't know of any really specific minimum in the NEC. Common sense should prevail but we can only enforce code.
Posted By: Steve T Re: 210.70(A)(3) - 04/27/06 02:00 PM
George,

I'm doing the plan review.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 210.70(A)(3) - 04/27/06 04:46 PM
I think you may actually get more help from your building/safety code. You still need adequate illumination for egress don't you?
The NEC really only requires one light.
Posted By: earlydean Re: 210.70(A)(3) - 04/27/06 07:36 PM
Common areas must be illuminated by a "house panel" branch circuit, if illumination is needed for any common area. If the engineer is trying to eliminate the house panel by providing for 11 separate luminaires to 11 separate storage areas, then I would fail the plans, unless enough light is shed on the common areas from another common area light fed from the "house panel".
Once the common area is illuminated (to 1 footcandle), then each storage area could be lit by it's own luminaire or lampholder, or by additional common area luminaires.
If the question is whether any lighting is required at all for the storage areas, the answer is no, so long as there is sufficient light shed from the common areas, to 1 footcandle.
Posted By: George Little Re: 210.70(A)(3) - 04/27/06 10:59 PM
Steve- I didn't realize you were doing the plan review. I thought you were installing. That said ( grovel, grovel) I think earlydean as the correct approach.
Posted By: Steve T Re: 210.70(A)(3) - 05/02/06 01:17 AM
George,
I only take the technical stuff you guys say seriously. [Linked Image]

The plans show lighting in the general area only (leading to the storage areas). I think there will probably be enough light, but I wanted to check and see what the board thought about the interpretation of this section. Thanks.
© ECN Electrical Forums