ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy LV Lighting Cable woes - 09/08/05 01:51 AM
We know that LV cales can't pass through or be concealed in walls per Article 411.
The aggravation that some of these installations pose, along with trying to explain to homeowners why you can't use LV cable, makes me wonder why someone doesn't get a UL listing for a LV cable that can be concealed.
It would eliminate the "junction/transition" fittings, and probably make the job go much smoother.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: LV Lighting Cable woes - 09/08/05 02:56 AM
...makes me wonder why someone doesn't get a UL listing for a LV cable that can be concealed.

Isn't that called, "Romex"? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Redsy Re: LV Lighting Cable woes - 09/08/05 10:56 AM
Romex, indeed.

However, depending on the installation conditions, accomodating the transition back to LV isn't always that easy. Even with the devices designed to do so.
Posted By: Jim M Re: LV Lighting Cable woes - 09/09/05 02:02 AM
Redsy,

LV cable will be allowed in walls in the 05 Code. One AHJ will let me sleeve LV thru ent in the walls.

I think there are some conditions but my notes are not with me.
Posted By: e57 Re: LV Lighting Cable woes - 09/09/05 07:27 AM
Attention should also be paid to the listing of the fixture as well, some dont allow modification to the wiring and terminations.
Posted By: Tom Re: LV Lighting Cable woes - 09/10/05 10:23 PM
The 2005 code will allow cables feeding low voltage lights to be concealed if the power supply is a listed class 2 power supply and the cable is also listed as a class 2 cable. Due to the power source limitations (see table 11(A) in Chapter 9), this may not be practical for some installations.

Tom
© ECN Electrical Forums