ECN Forum
Posted By: MI Sparky pool codes - 09/08/05 01:18 AM
680.42 states: OUTDOOR INSTALLATIONS A spa or hot tub installed outdoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article, except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B), that would otherwise apply to pools installed outdoors.

680.22(3) is the reference to the plug I am talking about

Now the question: I just got knocked down for a hot tub that was installed on a concrete porch that the required outdoor plug (installed 12 years ago) was 7 feet from and GFI'd. This should or should not be grandfathered? The plug is in brick. The basement is finished.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: pool codes - 09/08/05 02:57 AM
Can you make this work?
680.22 Area Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment.
(A) Receptacles.
(1) Circulation and Sanitation System, Location. Receptacles that provide power for water-pump motors or for other loads directly related to the circulation and sanitation system shall be located at least 3.0 m (10 ft) from the inside walls of the pool, or not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the inside walls of the pool if they meet all of the following conditions:
(1) Consist of single receptacles
(2) Employ a locking configuration
(3) Are of the grounding type
(4) Have GFCI protection

or
(4) Restricted Space. Where a pool is within 3.0 m (10 ft) of a dwelling and the dimensions of the lot preclude meeting the required clearances, not more than one receptacle outlet shall be permitted if not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) measured horizontally from the inside wall of the pool.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 09-07-2005).]
Posted By: MI Sparky Re: pool codes - 09/08/05 03:12 AM
nope, (4) doesnt apply because beyond the doorwall is about 4 feet of space. The problem I have is the failure of the existing plug.

Inspector said "why dont you tear out the inside plug (finished basement) and drill through the brick and add a plug?"
Posted By: gfretwell Re: pool codes - 09/08/05 03:24 AM
Move the hot tub? [Linked Image]
Posted By: MI Sparky Re: pool codes - 09/08/05 03:27 AM
lol I wish, it was a brand new concrete pour for it. Right against the house...about 10 feet from the doorwall.
Posted By: iwire Re: pool codes - 09/08/05 12:17 PM
Sure the outlet is grandfathered in but the new tub is not.

He is not failing the outlet for being to close to the tub.

He is failing the tub for being to close to the outlet.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: pool codes - 09/08/05 03:37 PM
If you can't get in under the restricted space rule I suspect you are scrod.
The AHJ is the final word unless you want to stir the pot.

How far is "about 10'"?

Bear in mind that rule doesn't say it has to be 9'11" away (or whatever the fartherest distance available) if you can't get >10'. If you can't get >10' it can be 5.0001'.
Posted By: BigB Re: pool codes - 09/09/05 03:43 AM
Can you mount an extension to the existing box then pipe over three feet and mount a GFCI in a surface mounted box?
© ECN Electrical Forums