ECN Forum
Posted By: tmeg46 Testers - 02/08/02 02:13 AM
Would like an opinion on testers. Pros and cons, on the following: 1) non-contact proximity tester. 2) Wiggy 3) A multi purpose (voltage, ohm, amprobe) type, digital or otherwise.
Do electricians, service or construction, use one over the other and which is best. I have my opinions (their like noses, right?) but would just like to hear from others.

Thanks, Tom
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Testers - 02/08/02 03:41 AM
Tom,

>> 1) non-contact proximity tester
My all-time Favorite Tool I wouldn't go to work without it.

Bill
Posted By: George Corron Re: Testers - 02/08/02 03:54 AM
You realize though, that all those testers have their charms. Wiggies are light, nearly unbreakable (especially if you have one of the old metal ones [Linked Image]) Contact testers are nice, but....seen 'em fail. Analog testers you can see a capacitive "kick" as it leaves a circuit being tested, digital, nice and accurate, you often see the peak voltage (170) before it settles down to 120, now with digital do you want true or average readings, that also makes a difference and there are reasons for wanting both, WELL now that I've thoroughly confused the issue, I'll leave [Linked Image]
Posted By: Jim M Re: Testers - 02/08/02 04:34 AM
I just got a non-contact tester. I don't know what I did without it.

All of these meters have their uses. I have at least one of each along with 2 amp meters, one digital, one analog for cold weather.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Testers - 02/08/02 12:26 PM
I know many will say that you should not rely on them solely, but sometimes we get complacent. Non-contact testers have a serious, potentially deadly quirk. If a cable(particularly NM, which has a paper filler which retains moisture) has been exposed to moisture, they may not indicate voltage when ther is voltage present. My brother was installing an outdoor receptacle on a tail of NM that someone else had started a few weeks before. The non-contact tester did not beep. When he went to shorten the cable with his cutters, it sparked and tripped the breaker. If the cable had not been too long, he would have stripped it while kneling in damp grass, and probably would have been killed. Non-contact testers are a great device, but don't bet your life on them!
As far as others, Ideal has a Vol-Con Elite tester #61-092, that has a non-contact feature and a non solenoid vibrating feature, which is good for day-to-day use.
I like the fluke 89 IV DMM. It has lots of nice features.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 02-08-2002).]
Posted By: buddy Re: Testers - 02/08/02 02:35 PM
Along the lines of testers, is there a requirement that all testers have to be UL listed? Could you make your own tester and still be "legal"?
Posted By: SPARKSALOT Re: Testers - 02/09/02 12:39 AM
I use a non contact tester for 120 stuff in "safe" situations. Where there may be higher voltages or I am outside or could be grounded somehow I use a fluke 23 or 87. I also sometimes use an Ideal voltage/continuity meter. I used to work for Shell oil and they required these or equivalent because of the inherent safety of not being able to have a selector in the wrong position. I have learned the value of that in the few times I have left my Flukes in current setting and hooked across 277v. Very fast way to get your attention.
Don
Posted By: electure Re: Testers - 02/09/02 01:22 AM
I carry both a Fluke T-5 and an old (25 yrs.)Square D "Wiggy" for checking if a circuit is dead. I use them both. Very often the Fluke high-impedance digital will show voltage on a circuit that's turned off, due to capacitance.
Also love my Fluke 36. RMS-AC/DC
Posted By: Chris Rudolph Re: Testers - 02/09/02 01:30 AM
I carry both the proximity tester and a digital multimeter as well as an analog clamp on current meter.
One thing that I recommend is to test whatever instrument you use on a known powered up circiut before using it on the unknown.

Chris
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Testers - 02/09/02 03:06 AM
I use a non-contact all the time. I also use a Vol-con for checking continuity and grounds, and an Amprobe ACD-10 clamp-around DMM when I need accurate voltage and current readings.

The non-contact is nice because it fits in your tool belt or pocket, but its not very rugged.

The Vol-con is almost indestructible, as I've thrown it, dropped it and abused it and it still works.

Of course, always "test your tester" first, especially the non-contact.

So, I would say all 3 tester types are essential to have.
Posted By: 3rd degree Burns Re: Testers - 02/09/02 08:24 AM
T-Meg, depending on your scope of work, I think its important to having all three items, but I agree with Redsky about the pocket tester...make sure you buy a high quality non-contact tester. I own both a Pyramid(made by Amprobe)and I especially like my Fluke. The Fluke is highly sensitive to the point is is sometimes difficult to acertain the status of a wire when others are in close proximity, but this is actually a good thing if you think about it.

Electure is also correct about a DMM's extemely high input impedance(quality ones anyway)causing occasional misinterpretations. I strongly suggest the Fluke 87III, an industry standard, and although pricey in the neighborhood of $350, it IS an excellent choice and has useful features for advanced troubleshooting.

I think a "Wiggy" has good utility, also for its lower input impedance which, in a desireable way, can slightly load floating or hi-Z circuits in order to obtain true reading. An old Simpson 360 VOM can do the same.

Thirdly, one should also have a good clamp-ammeter(I prefer a Fluke but there are other brands equally good), especially if you work with motors & drives.
© ECN Electrical Forums