ECN Forum
Posted By: Electricmanscott Money Talk! - 01/12/02 04:51 PM
I just found this board and have been reading so much my eyeballs are numb. What I would like to see is some info on what electricians are charging for their work. I will break the ice. I am a one man show in central and eastern MA. I do mid to high end remodel jobs. I charge $55.00 per hour and markup materials 30%. I would be interested to see what others are charging and I think it would benefit us all to know what the market can sustain.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Money Talk! - 01/12/02 10:39 PM
I just read some more posts including the ones about what people charge. Any more info posted here may also be helpful.
Posted By: dana1028 Re: Money Talk! - 01/13/02 12:34 AM
$$

I play 2 roles - I am an electrical contractor (my side job - 20+ hrs. a week); my 'day' job is running a large mfg. facilities and being an ICBO bldg/elect. inspector.

As a contractor I charge around $75/hr....but I charge a minimum of $200 per outlet; however I'm supposedly paying my electricians $130/hr. (contractor + 1 apprentice ....they always work together...no one-man jobs). If I want a single ballast replaced it runs about $180...but that's actually on the low side because looking at several invoices my charges run around $800 (4 hrs.) - $1200 (6 hrs.).
Posted By: pauluk Re: Money Talk! - 01/13/02 12:36 AM
Well, I'm not in America & our economics are somewhat different here, but I wish I could get $55 an hour.

Most of my jobs I price at about £50 for a full day's work (that's about $75) or pro rata, plus a little for gas money if it's more than 20 miles or so away. I usually add about 10% to materials to allow for odds and ends like PVC tape, sleeving, screws etc.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Money Talk! - 01/13/02 03:35 AM
I'm going to cry now...

[Linked Image]

Oh... I'm "up to" $25.00 per hour, slowly sneaking my way up to $33 if the local market will bear it...

Bid jobs kill me, I guess I'm a little slow... But if I "charge" $25 per hour labor, I end up having to complete a 2500 sq ft. house in less than 100 man hours to meet budjet... I usually end up making about $12 per hour on bid jobs... The house I finally finished averaged $9.25 (over 300 hours!)

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 01-12-2002).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Money Talk! - 01/14/02 12:24 AM
hey sparkwv,
ever think about moving?
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Money Talk! - 01/14/02 01:19 AM
Wow what a difference location makes. $55.00 an hour may seem like a lot to some but the cost of housing and other living expenses are very high here. I am likely going to $60.00 very soon [Linked Image] Still feeling out the competition. A little covert operation [Linked Image] I work with a contractor that lets me deal with and bill the customers directly. This is really a great setup. I'm doing mostly remodel jobs and I give a written estimate but do the work at cost plus. Tough to loose with this arrangement.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 01-13-2002).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Money Talk! - 01/14/02 01:31 PM
Redsy,
Yes I've thought about it, but it takes several grand to do it comfortably, and I'm struggling from check to check...

I'd have to move to a State that recips licenses with WV though, I shudder at the thought of "starting over"...

NC would probably be my first choice...

Alas, the mountains have a way of holding me here...
Posted By: daniel damon Re: Money Talk! - 01/15/02 01:14 AM
sparky,

I am in the same boat.I charge $25. also. Do you ever tact on extra just to be safe. Those bid jobs can kill!!
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: Money Talk! - 01/15/02 01:31 AM
Full time I work for a gov't agency as an electrician. I moonlight on weekends, evenings, etc as a contractor. (I am licensed and insured). I charge $40/hr and mark up minimum 50%. I'm the cheapest guy in town. Contractors in the DC/MD/VA metro area get $65 hr and up. Some are around 80 - 90, most about $75.
Posted By: sparky Re: Money Talk! - 01/15/02 10:35 PM
I'm @ $30 per hr, which is about average here.

BTW-love biddin' on otta state second home owners, they never even blink at my $$$$
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 01-15-2002).]
Posted By: Elzappr Re: Money Talk! - 01/16/02 02:54 AM
How in the world can you guys survive by charging just $25 to $35? What, working for cash?
Posted By: bhester Re: Money Talk! - 01/16/02 03:56 AM
Survive,barely..in Arkansas 5 years back the state grandfathered anyone that had any experience and made them a Master Electrician.I have seen guys with 1 year exp. get a master License(falsified applications) .Our contractor population doubled in my area and the quality has gone down the drain.The builders only care about the bottom dollar.to give you an idea an avg 2000 sq ft home is going for around 3300.00.That includes phones /tv 200 amp service ,cans are extra.Life is tough ,but the grass is always greener on the other side
Posted By: Elzappr Re: Money Talk! - 01/16/02 03:12 PM
Wow, I can't see how you can get through the dead times, or ride out the inevitable screw-ups, with such competetive figures. As to the quality of the electrical work, in what way do the inspectors overlook things? How do people get away with it? Or are we just talking about things being inadequate from the homeowner's point of view. Are we talking about burning the house down?
Posted By: motor-T Re: Money Talk! - 01/16/02 07:43 PM
Sparky
You can always come to Ohio afterall we have the reciprocal aggreement with WVa. Seems like every other person I meet is from West '' ByGod'.

Bhester
I think Ohio is going the same way, because now they are grandfathering everybody whos done any electrical work at all. The range is from Plumbers to HVAC guys, the state is passing out state licenses to almost anyone who applies who can show they have experience in the field, ie been in business for the last 5 years and that is about it for the criteria. It is definitely going to flood an already shrinking market. The price you quoted 3300 for a 2000 Sq.Ft. house is horrible that cant possibly pay for material and labor so whats left over ?
Posted By: bhester Re: Money Talk! - 01/16/02 11:27 PM
You hope for alot of extras,ie recess cans,designated circuits and lots of phones /tvs.It's not easy but it beats working by the hour for someone else.
Posted By: electure Re: Money Talk! - 01/17/02 01:55 AM
Virgil.
For Chrissakes count your blessings
This is an absolute mind-boggling, unending hell out here.
I'm not kidding (for once) at all...S
Posted By: Elzappr Re: Money Talk! - 01/17/02 03:46 AM
Electricmanscott, we're in the same line of work, so I like the fact that you use the roto-zip, I gave one to my carpenter son a few years ago, but never bought one for myself. I guess from the content of your e-mail that it really comes in handy for you. Yeah, cutting in lath and plaster is a pain. Can't wait to try a roto-zip on it...well, maybe I CAN wait [Linked Image]
Now, do you bid on little one day jobs too?
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Money Talk! - 01/17/02 10:55 AM
Most of the little one day jobs are situations where the customer says just come and do it and send me a bill. (Repeat customers) I try not to do much in the way of bid work. Usually I will let them know about what it will cost and go from there. I have worked with a couple of contractors for a few years so they know my billing and they know I'm honest and not out to screw people. From what I am reading her it seems I am pretty spoiled and I really have it good! For a good licensed electrical contractor out there to have to battle to charge $25.00 an hour is terrible. This is a skilled occupation and you should be paid as such. Too bad this is not a perfect world. [Linked Image] I guess the more you make the more you have to give to Uncle Sam anyway.
Posted By: Elzappr Re: Money Talk! - 01/17/02 08:26 PM
Thanks, Electricmanscott..well said!
Posted By: George Rueff Re: Money Talk! - 01/18/02 04:47 AM
Here in South Texas I worked service @ $50 per hour ,residential COD ,50%mark up on materials.I did mainly large commercial oil field and industrial.We got this rate by calling all contractors in the phone book and added $5,to weed out the dead beats.Always had customers on the line.
© ECN Electrical Forums