ECN Forum
Posted By: Partywaggin PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/11/05 08:32 PM
I work for an electric cooperative as a subdivision distribution designer. All of our UD is placed in PVC conduit installed by the member or developer as the case may be with the cooperative installing the cables at a later date.

Here in AZ there is a significant shortage of 2", 2 1/2" & 3" PVC conduit in schedule 40 and DB-120 thickness.

Just curious if any of y'all on the other side of the meter are having issues sourcing PVC and if not, where the heck are you getting it, especially if you are in the Southwest?

If you are having issues, what alternatives are you employing? HDPE? Arnco "SmoothCor"? etc.

Thanks for the insights.

Wes
Posted By: iwire Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/11/05 08:46 PM
Apparently we are all going to have a hard time getting PVC.
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006374.html

This was posted at another Forum.
Update:
Lowes has no PVC conduit
4 " PVC 3 weeks ago was $90 per hundred
Today its $330 if you can get it...
due to a shortage of petrochemicals to make the resin, the PVC plants don't have power, Nat Gas has gone up in cost, no trucks to deliver.
Shortage expected to last until Jan.
Posted By: Amazingmg Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/11/05 09:02 PM
I know. It feels strange actually worrying about PVC getting stolen off the jobsite.
Posted By: Partywaggin Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/11/05 09:08 PM
That's about what I figured. Thanks, guys.

What non-metallic alternatives are y'all using, if any?

Wes
Posted By: harold endean Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/12/05 12:32 AM
The supply house here in NJ just told me that the price of PVC just went up 18%. That is when you can find it. This what I am being told. If you were not a customer already, the bigger suppliers are not shipping to new customers. Anything that has petrol products in it might have the same problem. Much of the building supplies are heading down to the hurricane area and gas prices are killing everything else.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/12/05 01:23 AM
Insulation on wire comes from an oil product. So expect increases there too... :-(
Posted By: e57 Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/12/05 02:27 AM
Let me guess.... they are blaming this on Katrina?

What a crock!

FYI after Katrina (the next day) Gas prices in CA shot up $.40, until the Attorny General threatened prosicution for price gouging, then dropped $.30...
Posted By: Partywaggin Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/12/05 03:18 PM
QUOTE: "The supply house here in NJ just told me that the price of PVC just went up 18%. That is when you can find it. This what I am being told. If you were not a customer already, the bigger suppliers are not shipping to new customers. Anything that has petrol products in it might have the same problem. Much of the building supplies are heading down to the hurricane area and gas prices are killing everything else."

Thanks. Yeah, suppliers out here in AZ are telling developers to call back in a month. They aren't even taking back orders. 18% doesn't sounds too bad assuming you can get it, like you say. Oh well....

Wes
Posted By: gfretwell Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/12/05 05:17 PM
Has this trickled down to the EMT and UF cable biz yet?
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/12/05 06:08 PM
Not sure about UF cable, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I just placed an order for a large amount of multiconductor cable (communication/instrumentation stuff) from Newark Electronics, and was told that the cable supplier (Belden) had just jacked up prices by ~20% in the last week due to the cost/availability of PVC resin. Apparently, the main producers of the stuff are along the gulf coast...

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 10-12-2005).]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/12/05 09:29 PM
I was just at Lowes (Ft Myers)and 1/2" RNC was $1.09 a stick. They seemed to have plenty. I thought about buying it all and sending it to you guys ;-)
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/12/05 11:16 PM
It feels strange actually worrying about PVC getting stolen off the jobsite.

"Psst! Hey, man, you lookin' for some RNC? Check it out, dude!"

"Has this trickled down to the EMT and UF cable biz yet?"

I can tell you this: I just paid $49 for a roll of 12-2 NM. Yikes!

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 10-12-2005).]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/13/05 01:36 AM
I didn't look at 12-2 but I was picking up a roll of 14-3 ($46)
Posted By: macmikeman Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/13/05 08:34 AM
Might be time to pick up a few extra cases of carlon nail on boxes before they stop shipping those also.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/13/05 04:40 PM
"Are you in gold, silver or stocks"?

None of those, I have PVC!
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/14/05 01:37 AM
I hadn't realized how damaging the shortage of PVC could be. I hope this doesn't slow down the demand for electrical work, that's for sure. I think everything will be just fine in a short period of time. How you define "a short period" is the question, though.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/15/05 12:31 AM
The local big orange box over here doesnt seem to be low on anything and pricing seems to be going lower (???)

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/15/05 01:02 AM
Very Strange.

The orange box stores here only stock PVC conduit and fittings up to 2", and prices are going up about the same as the real supply houses.

The blue boxes usually have 3" PVC available, but I haven't been in one lately to check prices.

How many "harry homeowner" type projects call for 3" PVC pipe, anyway? Are that many DIYers installing 400A services on their homes?
Posted By: Tesla Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/15/05 01:07 AM
EUSERC now demands 3" Schedule 40 for home Services at only 200A (!)

Way over kill, but there it is.

I suspect that in the warmer areas (Arizona, Southern California) the oversize pipe helps ventilate and cool the service latteral.

Anyhow, we are now using an 'extra inch' on all service latterals.... What had been 4" must now be 5", etc.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/15/05 01:39 AM
Look at the bright side:

With PVC in a 'shortage'....something sure to affect NM as well as pipe....maybe we'll see the higher prices discourage the DIY's and hacks from playing with the electric!
Posted By: DougW Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/15/05 02:11 PM
Here in Chicago area "Big Orange" doesn;t carry Non metallic conduit (PVC) - lots of Romex & pipe. I have to go to Menard's (a regional home improvement store) to get it.

BTW, it's still pretty affordable.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/15/05 02:17 PM
My supply house called me yesterday to say if I needed any PVC, I better buy it now. They are running out and can't get any more or what they can get is double their old price.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/15/05 05:42 PM
quote"I suspect that in the warmer areas (Arizona, Southern California) the oversize pipe helps ventilate and cool the service latteral."

I suspect that if they just used a bigger size conductor than they do, they could do an even better job of cooling their service latteral's.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/15/05 10:36 PM
I stopped by the supply house yesterday and asked about the shortage. My boss knew nothing about any shortage but seemed impressed that I was aware of something like this (thanks ECN). But the guy at the supply house told me that 100' of 1/2" PVC was jumping from $18.00 to $32.00 some time next week. He didn't know price increases for 2" though.
Posted By: distributor x Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/22/05 01:18 AM
The shortage hit Canada this week.

Quotes will only be honoured by the manufacturers for a few days.

Prices will go up approx 25% in the next couple of weeks.

The supply of PVC products is being rationed to the distibutors, to prevent hording.

Also, non-metalic conduit & fittings will be increasing by 25 - 40%
Posted By: Sandro Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/28/05 01:59 AM
Yeah, we got notice a few days ago about the price increase. We just ordered a boatload of pvc to stock in the warehouse for now.

Is this a temporary rise?
Posted By: dmattox Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/28/05 06:49 AM
My boss just sent a massive change order on one of our jobs. We were paying $1.60 / ft of 4" in July. Our last bill was just under $7 / ft!!!
Posted By: Tesla Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/28/05 08:00 PM
It is temporary, for sure. The question is how long....

Bill it as it plays.
Posted By: fewellcrew Re: PVC Conduit Shortage??? - 10/29/05 02:56 AM
I work at a distributor. It's gotten so we put the PVC inside and the trucks outside.
© ECN Electrical Forums