ECN Forum
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 02:25 AM
It looks like there are some new members out there. I haven't posted in a long time. I thought I would drop a note to those who remember me. I live in Chambers County, along the coast of Texas. Rita is projected to hit aproximately 30 to 50 miles from my house. I know there are other members who live in the Houston area. I wish the best to all who are evacuating from Houston, Galveston, and all along the Texas coast. To those new members, welcome aboard. This is a great forum. For now, my house is "boarded up", and we're going to ride out the storm in Humble, TX.

Best Regards,
Doc
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 02:29 AM
Holy S! I have an aunt and uncle who live in Humble. How small a world is that?

Hope all you fine folks down there in Texas will be ok.

My prayers go out to all of you folks who might be affected byt this major hurricane.

Godspeed.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 02:36 AM
Thanks for the report Watt Doctor I hope all works out for you.

Waymag and Justin Electric I hope you guys are safe also.
They are from Texas too.
Posted By: jw electric Re: Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 03:04 AM
My prayers are with all of you Doc. [Linked Image]
Posted By: WESTUPLACE Re: Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 03:09 AM
I am working emergency communications for the Humble TX EOC & Fire Dept. Robert
Posted By: LK Re: Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 05:00 AM
Robert,

Sure wish the EOC's would use the 20 meter net to handle welfair, and out of area emergency messages, It appears land lines and cell communications are the first to fail, in years past amature radio was a big part of EOC, and it always worked, when all other communications failed.

Stay safe,
Posted By: electure Re: Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 10:23 AM
Doc, Best of luck to you and all the others.

Here's a thread I remember from ECN's early days: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000237.html

Hope to hear from you again soon, It HAS been a long time.
Prayers are with you all.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 09-23-2005).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 11:06 AM
Good Luck, Doc!

It puts things in perspective when we see tha trouble some communities endure.
We usually complain around here if there is a few inches of snow more than we can handle, or if there is a 30 minute traffic delay.
Maybe we should all be more aware of our blessings.

I heard a saying...
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. This moment right now is a gift, that is why it's called the "present".

Good luck to all!
Posted By: IanR Re: Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 11:24 AM
Doc My prayers go out to you and your family. Take care of your selves.
Thanks to all. We're trying to look on the bright side right now. We'll know more soon. Electure, I had forgotten about that post. That was back before I changed my "handle".
Best Regards,
Doc
Posted By: DSpanoudakis Re: Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 03:31 PM
Good luck man. I doubt we're going to see any of it down here in Brownsville, Texas. Hang in there.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 03:50 PM
Saw the pictures of Galveston being evacuated on the news here last night, including a clip with one fellow who had only been in the city a while having evacuated from New Orleans previously.

Just viewing from afar it looks eerie to see what are normally busy highways almost empty and deserted.

Good luck to all of you from down that way.
Posted By: mxslick Re: Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 07:26 PM
Good luck and prayers for safety to you all in the affected areas. You folks have been through enough already. Take care.

Tony
Posted By: WFO Re: Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 10:22 PM
Quote;
"Just viewing from afar it looks eerie to see what are normally busy highways almost empty and deserted."

We're in Bellville, Tx....about an hour west of Houston and on a small highway designated as one of the evacuation routes.

In a town of 4,000 people and only two red lights, it took about 45 minutes to get across town. The traffic is beyond belief. I got called out at 3:00 AM Wednesday morning(3 full days before predicted landfall) and the traffic was still bumper to bumper on Interstate 10 from the day before.

One of the local cops directed traffic for 18 hours yesterday and had drivers pull guns on him on 4 different occassions. A lady that lives across the road almost had a fight with two drivers trying to get into her own driveway...they thought she was trying to cut in line.

For all the people that griped about the government not evacuating New Orleans, the bottom line is this. You just can't move 2 or 3 million people out of an area in just a few days. Believe me, the people of Houston and Galveston got an early jump on it and it was still a nightmare. A friend of ours spent 14 hours crossing Houston in what is normally a 1.5 hour drive.

On a hopefully happier note, the storm is weakening (slightly). Good luck to all our fellow lineman at Centerpoint and the surrounding Coops and Municipalities. May have some good (well....interesting) stories next week.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Checking in...On the run from Rita - 09/23/05 10:25 PM
Doc, and everyone else in harms way:
Be safe, and good luck to all.
John
Dodged a huge bullet. We still have people scattered all over the state, but everyone is alive. My house is still here, but I lost a few trees. The county I live in is a Federal Disaster Area. Another 50 miles to the west, I might be homeless right now. No doubt, the Lord spared me and a lot of the people I know this time.

Regards,
Doc
© ECN Electrical Forums