ECN Forum
Posted By: cgw Romex in commercial (wood frame) buildings. - 02/23/05 11:57 PM
Does any one have problems with running NM cable in small commercial wood frame buildings (say a apartment complex office/community center (less than 100 people)) as opposed to MC cable?
Is the cost savings (material and labor) significant?
How many stories?
I might be wrong,but I thought Romex was not allowed in any commercial building.

Is a condominium or apartment complex above three stories considered commercial or residential?

Edward
Posted By: cgw Re: Romex in commercial (wood frame) buildings. - 02/24/05 01:38 AM
One story, type V (wood frame) construction.
Based on your information, it's not an NEC issue.
Personally, I (as an EC) do not put MNC in comm buildings. But, remember, this is my personal choice.

John
cgw
In the county I live in its acceptable to run romex in a comm bldg but I refuse to do it. Are apt complex's concidered comm work in your area?

Rob
we just wired up a one story medical building. we ran romex for the offices, kitchen, reception, and waiting rooms; and BX for the examination rooms...if there wern't any examination rooms, i am positive my boss would have ran all romex(speed/cost of running the wire, ect.)if it's not over 3 stories then go for it...just don't run it in open runs above a drop ceiling.
for a complete list of where you are allowed to use NM cable, look at
Article 334.10--Uses Permitted.
for complete list of where you can't use it look at Article 334.12--Uses Not Permitted
Posted By: e57 Re: Romex in commercial (wood frame) buildings. - 02/24/05 03:28 AM
Depends on your local codes for fire ratings, I'd check your Inspector before you start.
I don't have a problem using NM in any wood frame construction.

BTW, the 3 story limit was removed in the 2002 book.
what is (excessive) moisture or dampness?
in 334.12 (10) (d)

is a pole barn a hazardous location?
because of hay or grain dust maybe.
could I use NM in the pole barn?
whare do I find the ampacity of NM?
bucketman: 310-16 60 degree column
We are allowed to use romex in metal studs here as long as you use gromets through penetrations of the studs.
Electric Eagle, thanks.
For 14,12,10 you really need to look at 240.4(D)
so whare does it tell us to us the 60c column
for the ampacity of NM.
I know about the small conductores in 240.4 (D) but what about every thing else.

I was looking at 6/3 NM and theirs no temp rating.
cool thanks
Posted By: cgw Re: Romex in commercial (wood frame) buildings. - 02/25/05 02:12 AM
There should be no code issues (as the assembly space is for less than 100 people).
The owner is really looking for ways to cut cost. They already took out the air conditioning.
I think we will still use metal boxes.
Does any one have problems with running NM cable in small commercial wood frame buildings (say a apartment complex office/community center (less than 100 people)) as opposed to MC cable?
Is the cost savings (material and labor) significant?

I have no problem whatsoever. NM would be the preferred way here assuming correct building type and no code restrictions.

The cost savings could be significant given the price difference. A spot check of prices is about $120/M for 12/2 NM cable and $240/M for 12/2 MC cable.

Peter

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 02-25-2005).]
I would check with the AHJ. Look at section 334.12 (A)(1). As open runs in dropped or suspended ceilings other than one- two family and multiple dwellings.

In the walls would be OK but when it goes above the ceiling, some AHJ's will site this code section.
© ECN Electrical Forums