ECN Forum
Posted By: royta wet in use cover for NEMA L5-30R? - 10/05/04 07:29 PM
Do they make such a thing? The NEMA L5-30P is pretty big.

If not, how does one use these plugs as a permanent installation in a wet location?
Posted By: e57 Re: wet in use cover for NEMA L5-30R? - 10/05/04 08:51 PM
They do make such a thing, however most supply houses don't carry them as common stock. Ask for a Bell, Red Dot or Intermatic catalog and they do have some larger ones, that you can order. The common stocked ones are pretty shallow. Some are also made for a special slanted box, simular to a pin and sleeve connector type box.
http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/RACO_datasheet.asp?PN=5784%2D0&FAM=BellWeatherproof&P=7630,7645,5640,5527

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 10-05-2004).]
Posted By: royta Re: wet in use cover for NEMA L5-30R? - 10/05/04 09:06 PM
Thanks Mark.
Posted By: OreElect Re: wet in use cover for NEMA L5-30R? - 10/06/04 01:06 AM
http://www.intermatic.com/images/catalog/groups/2004-TS89_WP.pdf

We use the intermatic 1030.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: wet in use cover for NEMA L5-30R? - 10/06/04 02:40 AM

royta — If it’s a surface-mount installation, an “all in one” outdoor can, L5-30R receptacle and deep enough in-use cover may be available from Midwest Electric. A model U023 {or maybe U013} ordered as modified with an L5-30R may have reasonable price and delivery and make a ‘sanitary’ installation. It may be worth a phone call or email to them.

www.midwestelectric.com/marketing/literature/general/MEPC2004A_60-124.pdf

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-05-2004).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: wet in use cover for NEMA L5-30R? - 10/06/04 02:42 AM

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-05-2004).]
Posted By: royta Re: wet in use cover for NEMA L5-30R? - 10/06/04 03:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

From the customer's information, and the previous EC's suggestion, I thought the customer's 120V spa needed to have a 30A circuit. After looking at it this evening, the 2 speed pump isn't dropping into low speed when the heater kicks on. So instead of the spa pulling 14A with the heater on, it's pulling 22A. Heater is 1.5 kW. Pump pulls 2.9A in low, and 11A in high.

I told him the spa would benefit from a dedicated 20A circuit and recep, but he'd need to have the spa repaired. As it is now, it's on a GP 15A circuit. I told the customer he should be glad the previous EC didn't have time to install a 30A circuit for his spa.

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 10-05-2004).]
Posted By: e57 Re: wet in use cover for NEMA L5-30R? - 10/06/04 03:57 AM
Now reguardless of the plug and cover,what does the name-plate of this item say? That should be the basis of change on the plug, cover, breaker, or circuit for it.
Posted By: royta Re: wet in use cover for NEMA L5-30R? - 10/06/04 05:14 AM
I didn't see a plate that covered the spa as a whole. There were plates for the heater and pump motor seperately. The combined load of the heater and pump motor, on low speed, is 14A. If it were designed to run on a higher amperage circuit, I think it would have a twist lock on the cord, instead of a standard 15A.

*edit - not necessarily a twist lock, but certainly something more than the standard 15A GFCI plug that is there from the factory.

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 10-06-2004).]
Posted By: e57 Re: wet in use cover for NEMA L5-30R? - 10/07/04 12:36 AM
If this was shipped from the factory with a 15 GFCI cord cap, something else may be awry. This may have been a convertable unit. Meaning it could/should be re-wired in the field for the available voltage/amperage. Either on the control box inside, or inside it it should have a wiring diagram. That would either show the unit data, or if convertable, the diagram to change it, and both sets of data. Assuming this is a newer unit. Many these days are convertable, even if shipped as one model number with a certain voltage and amperage, it may be the same as a different model number with a different set of data, but the same unit. The factor just throws a different cord cap in the box, and leaves you to sort it out. If the name plate data is not available, I would suggest calling the rep for the manufacturer before connecting it. There may be a jumper or two to move allowing this to operate at the correct amperage, for the cord cap supplied. Not finding out the full picture could result in damage to the unit, or worse.
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: wet in use cover for NEMA L5-30R? - 10/07/04 12:50 AM
If the unit is fairly new, odds are that it isn't broken, it just needs to have the jumpers moved around (and what ever else the instructions say for the conversion). If the unit has some time on it, I still wouldn't rule out the fact that it needs to be converted, but I suppose a relay could've gone bad as well. But without any name plate info, instructions or schematic, this could prove tricky.

Also, this "previous EC" could have done some tinkering too.

Good luck
Posted By: royta Re: wet in use cover for NEMA L5-30R? - 10/07/04 06:24 AM
Sorry about not making all of the facts available. This is an older unit which worked just fine with the factory 15A GFCI cord cap. However, the general purpose 15A circuit the spa was using, would occastionally trip. This is understandable as the unit should pull 14A just by itself with the heater on and the pump motor in low speed. Throw another load on that circuit and trip goes the breaker. Then about three weeks ago, the pump motor was replaced because it apparently failed. I guess the old motor was making buzzing sounds and other encouraging noises. With the new motor, the amp readings are as I have indicated above. 25A measured at the breaker for a micro second, drops down to 11A for a second or two, then jumps up to 21A to 22A.

The following chain of events is just my guess, but here it goes anyway. The 25A burst is the pump motor spinning up. Then it drops down to 11A, which is the normal current draw of the pump motor in high speed. Then the heater kicks on, but the pump motor doesn't drop into low speed. So now, instead of a normal 14A draw, it is now pulling 21A to 22A.

I told the HO that with a schematic, I could have it troubleshot in no time, but alas, we dont' have one. I'm not sure how much time he wants me to spend working on a spa problem that essentially is the responsibilty of the tech who replaced the motor. I believe all the earlier EC did, was take some amp readings and tell the HO the unit needed a 30A circuit, new recep and cord cap. Perhaps the spa can in fact be converted to a higher amp draw. Or perhaps even a 240V circuit. I'm going there tomorrow evening to run the conduit to the panel for a new circuit, so maybe I'll be able to look at the spa.

*edited - I'll have to look closer at the replacement motor and make sure it is capable of two speeds. The original one was. I'm really not sure what to do if the replacement motor is not. I guess I would need to replace the SJ cord with 10-2 w/ ground, AND verify the wiring in the box in the spa is capable of a 30A circuit. Better yet, can these plug in type spas be converted to a 240V circuit?

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 10-07-2004).]
Posted By: royta Re: wet in use cover for NEMA L5-30R? - 10/07/04 03:21 PM
If for some reason a 30A circuit and recep needed to be installed, I guess I'd be limited to a 30A GFCI breaker. Or do they make a 30A GFCI recep?
© ECN Electrical Forums