ECN Forum
Posted By: sinehat Romex stapler? - 09/21/04 04:49 PM
Has anyone used one of the romex staplers for 12/2 or 14/2? Saw one today at HD for $36. It holds 25 of the romex staples that have the plastic piece on the horizontal section. The idea sounds good, less stuff to tote crawling underneath a house or up into the attic. Just curious how the application actually works out. Thanks.
Posted By: royta Re: Romex stapler? - 09/21/04 05:03 PM
Will it staple 14-3? A lot of attic work is for ceiling fans, which means 14-3.
Posted By: Edward Re: Romex stapler? - 09/21/04 08:41 PM
It works O.K. you have to have pressure on the head so the staple will go in. Otherwise the staple barely goes in,hence not holding the romex nice and tight.

I still like to use the U nails.

Edward
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Romex stapler? - 09/21/04 08:50 PM
I own one and it is OK, not great. It seems to only work well on new, soft wood.

I also felt like I was going to get carpal tunnel from using it. [Linked Image]

Peter
Posted By: electricman786 Re: Romex stapler? - 09/22/04 12:13 AM
Every tool has its own advantage. I own one and use it a lot. Real handy in new construction, crawl spaces and attics. After a while you get use to it and learn some techniques. I keep some u nails too with me so I can use them when I need.
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Romex stapler? - 09/22/04 10:05 AM
I think I put in more staples when I use mine because it's so quick. I just would not want to do a whole lot all at once. It does take a really strong squeeze.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Romex stapler? - 09/23/04 02:13 AM
I use one. While not perfect, it beats having to swing a hammer. Though, to be fair, it does require a follow-up tap to fully seat the staple when stapling only one wire. It also tends to jam a lot.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Romex stapler? - 09/23/04 02:22 AM
... I'd be wary of hurting the jacket on the NM,...I'll stick to the conventional method,.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ
Posted By: sinehat Re: Romex stapler? - 09/24/04 11:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. Looks like there is no overwhelming cheers or jeers for the thing. Guess I'll have to buy one and see for myself. Thanks.
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Romex stapler? - 09/27/04 08:40 AM
Attic Rat,
To me, it is a more precise method and the staples have a plastic insulator so I am less likely to damage the jacket than when I'm swinging a 3# hammer at it.
Now when somebody comes out with a battery version so you don't kill your fingers, I'll switch forever.
Posted By: Joey D Re: Romex stapler? - 09/27/04 10:32 AM
I have one and it works great. Much faster than the hammer.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Romex stapler? - 09/27/04 11:44 AM
How is the holding power with the new staples? I bought a T-75 20 years ago, but when I gave a yank on the NM, the entire run came down, haven't used it since. The staples didn't hold worth a darn. I still use the small one (T-25) for telephone and cable.
© ECN Electrical Forums