ECN Forum
Posted By: DougW Leather or Nylon? - 05/27/04 05:30 PM
I realize that this will probably open a can of worms akin to "Ground up or ground down?", or "Pre-twist or not pre-twist?", but I've gotta ask, if only to sate my curiosity.

What type of belt pouch do you prefer to tote your tools in - Leather or Nylon?

This question actually comes from my (re) purchasing equipment after my theft. I've got an older leather pouch, but it's not my first pouch [Linked Image] ... you know how it is. So I talked with the wife, and we've agreed that we should be able to afford the Klein Cordura pouch set (I forget the name of it) as a replacement. So I figured I'd tap yer brains, and get some opinions.

Thanks,

Doug
Posted By: BPHgravity Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/27/04 06:16 PM
I use a tool bag.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/pix/prod/P33558X.jpg
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/27/04 07:45 PM
Nylon. I hated wearing leather pouches.
Posted By: scameron81 Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/28/04 12:16 AM
I had a pair of the CLC nylon electrician bags for a while and I hated them. They never fit right and they always rode too low. I found a nylon set made by boulder bags and they are the most comfortable bags I have ever worn. I can't hardly tell that I am wearing them. Plus I am left handed and I configure my tools differently than most people which is the other reason that I really like my new set. It allows me to put my tools where I want them.
Posted By: electure Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/28/04 02:46 AM
Welcome scameron.
I've got the same, Boulder Bags, with suspenders.
They're the most comfortable bags I've ever owned, and you can carry almost the whole shop in them [Linked Image] (I guess they must be good for big rocks, too).

There's nothing like the smell and feel of new leather bags, but alas, it only lasts about a week, and you can't throw them in the washing machine...S
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/28/04 02:50 AM
I went from a pouch - after hurting my back- to a pail with the pouch around it. I loved that only I made it too heavy with all of the crap I put in it. Then I went to a small canvas and leather open bag that has a plastic bin inside of it. It is perfect and does not weight too much.

Pierre
Posted By: caselec Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/28/04 04:53 AM
The leather belts/bags will hold up longer than the nylon but I still prefer the nylon. My current set made by Baget (no longer in business) will need replacing soon so I have been looking around. Several of my suppliers that carry the Klein say that many customers have had problems with them. I don’t remember what problems they are having but I have decided to stay away from Klein. I hadn’t seen Boulder Bag until now but they look pretty good. Does anyone here have any experience with Occidental Leather's nylon bags?

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 05-28-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/28/04 09:51 AM
For Electrician's work I use a locally made Tool-belt/Pouch, it has a Leather body and a Nylon strap of 2" wide.
Can't fault it personally, it's just so comfortable to wear!.
And if you carry the number of tools I do in a pouch, that's saying something. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/28/04 11:08 AM
Leather -- But then I'm something of a traditionalist in many ways.
Posted By: DougW Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/28/04 06:09 PM
caselec - thanks for the link. Interesting stuff!
Posted By: cs409 Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/29/04 03:14 AM
tool bag only,,,belt and pouch has cobwebbs...
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/29/04 01:03 PM
I've been dedicated to Skillers Workwear since I first became aware of it back in the Eighties. I've used small leather pouches that I fit to the Cordura pockets, used for the sharp tools, to provide maximum life of the work vest.

In the last three years I've also added a [b][i]CLC #81526 tool carrier[/i][/b] . I alternate between the two, depending upon the job.
Posted By: CRM Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/29/04 03:13 PM
I like using a leather tool pouch and belt from klein Tools, I only carry the minimum amount of tools I need, the rest go in a canvas tool bag or a steel tool box.
Posted By: u2slow Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/29/04 04:38 PM
I just upgraded to a nylon pouch from leather. I really like the way the main pouch stays "open", and how the unused individual tool loops will collapse to make way for larger tools. The weight savings is nice, especially when working in the rain.

The other pouch is just a plain 3-pocket nail bag for assorted material, screws, etc.

I really try to carry ONLY the tools I need for the task at hand, and leave the rest in my toolbox. I resort to a carryall before I load my pouch to the hilt.

You only get one back you know [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Leather or Nylon? - 05/29/04 05:24 PM
I use a very small nylon bag with minimal tools...needle-nose pliers, strippers, four screwdrivers, small lineman pliers, a Klein debur screwdriver, volt pen, pencil, Sharpee marker & tape measure. Other stuff is in a tool bag.

Dave
Posted By: BrianSparky Re: Leather or Nylon? - 06/02/04 01:00 AM
Hey fellow sparkies!
I just carry the tools I need in my carhartt bib overalls; usually a 5in1 screwdriver, strippers, volt pen, linesmans and wear a carhartt apron for wirenuts, etc. I carry a tool bag (CLC 81526 mentioned) and other required items on a tool cart which I wheel around on the job site.
After trying every combo of bags, leather or cordura, etc, my back hates it. My back loves doing the bib overall thing!
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Leather or Nylon? - 06/02/04 04:19 AM
Retired—so no firsthand experience, but these are worth consideration. Good trial and warrantee terms. www.toolbelts.com/deluxe_electric_7.htm

I lived and died by a Klein 5144S snaphook bag for many years.
Posted By: DougW Re: Leather or Nylon? - 06/02/04 01:37 PM
Bjarney - Dang! that Toolbelts.com website shows a pouch that's only missing the kitchen sink! [Linked Image]

I appreciate all the responses. I used to use a mutliple pouch system.

Pouch 1 - my "electician's pouch" (trim out)a Craftsman Leather "deluxe electrician's" pouch; held my kleins, dykes, asst'd screwdrivers, vol-con, etc.

Pouch 2 - my "rough in" pouch - a leather carpenter's nail pouch - which held my modified speed-square, conduit pliers, conduit reaming screwdriver, tubing cutter, a utility knife, screws & nails for boxes in the little pouch, and connectors & couplings in the big pouch.

These were supplemented by a 3-gal round bucket with a tools organizer pouch - a present from my father-in-law. It was nice, because that way I could keep the "all the time" tools in the pouch, and the "usual, but not all the time" ones in the bucket; like a 3/4 k.o. punch, large (up to 3") tubing cutter, hacksaw, chisels, etc.

I'll probably go back to that system, or one like it - just with a little more nylon.

Thanks again for the input!
Posted By: Merlin Re: Leather or Nylon? - 06/06/04 03:16 AM
I started out with leather. Eventually outgrew it and went to a klien cordura. As I love new tools, it to got to full and extremely heavy. Now I am using a tool pouch that I found at Lowes. It works great so far. It is about 10 inches square and has many pockets. It also has a plastic organizer in the side that i keep wire nuts, connectors, ect. in. I also have a Craftsman nylon bag that I keep my bigger and not as often used tools in.
© ECN Electrical Forums