ECN Forum
Posted By: ALA12 Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 01:38 PM
Hello everyone. I've been hearing more and more about Robertson screwdrivers -- that folks in Canada use them a lot more than folks in the U.S., and about their great turning capability (since the screwdriver and tip of the screw stay put together better).

I was wondering, though -- what kinds of applications would you use these for? If I'm working in a lumber yard, could Robertson screws be used? Or there other projects out there where Robertson screwdrivers are typically used? If they could be used for virtually anything (that one would normally use a Phillips head for), I may even consider switching my arsenal to use only these screws and screwdrivers.

Thoughts?

Thanks, ALA12
Posted By: iwire Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 01:57 PM
This kind of sounds like a sales pitch, particularly as you list your profession as Public Relations.

You are taking about square drive screws and you have answered you own question.

they could be used for virtually anything (that one would normally use a Phillips head for

Many panel terminals have provisions on them for square drive and it is easer to use a torque screwdriver with a square drive then a Philips.

I do not see me getting rid of my Phillips tips just yet. [Linked Image]

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 04-12-2004).]
Posted By: ALA12 Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 02:00 PM
I'm sorry if this came off as a sales pitch. I'm merely a young, new member to the group and am trying to figure out just what the heck Robertson screwdrivers are used for. Someone was telling me about all their benefits the other day but never really said what they're used for. Can you help?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: GETELECTRIC Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 02:07 PM
Being Canadian and using both i will tell you that yes Robertson screwdrivers are far superior than Phillips,and can,t think of one situation where i would rather use a different type of screw.
Posted By: iwire Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 02:07 PM
I am sorry if I am mistaken but we do get people here trying to push a product.

Bob
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 02:17 PM
Is the Robertson screw a uniquely Canadian invention? First time I saw them was on my first visit to Montreal back in 1999....
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 02:32 PM
The first electrical shop I worked for used them exclusivley. There are many benifits. The tip holds the screw as though it were magnatized. It is nearly impossible to strip them. Once the tip is in the screw it doesn't come out until you want it to, unlike a slotted or phillips. And last but not least...not every trade on the job site has one, so if someone needs to move one of your boxes or pipes, they have to come get you instead of just hacking it apart! I am a big fan of these, and as Bob (Iwire) pointed out, alot of equipment is now putting in slotted/square screws on their terminlas, covers and dead fronts. I'll tell you the truth, I couldn't say enough about how much I like working with them.
Posted By: GETELECTRIC Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 02:52 PM
I believe it is Canadian,but I am being unbiased in my thoughts about them.
Posted By: C-H Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 03:33 PM
Never heard of it. What does it look like?

Just when you thought you had enough of weird screwdrivers. Philips, Torx, tamper proof torx, hexagonal and a couple I haven't even a name for.
Posted By: GETELECTRIC Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 03:42 PM
The screwdriver has a square tip that fits in a square opening on the end of a screw,due tothe square in square it has plenty of torque and doesn,t fall off very easily.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 03:45 PM
Imagine an Allen head screw with a square recess instead of a hexagonal one.

These things are great! Square D is using them on their panelboards now, on the terminal screws and the panel cover screws.
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 04:08 PM
My security bit set has some square drive bits in there, I figured they were just another type of tamper-resistant fastener; didn't know they were so common. If they are as slick as they sound, I wouldn't mind seeing them replace the philips and flathead in some locations....

-John
Posted By: iwire Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 04:35 PM
I work in metal stud buildings, when the carpenters have to attach would trim to the metal studs the use a square drive self drilling screw that has a very small head, almost as small as a finish nail head.

These guys do go through a lot of square drive tips but that is only because of the very small size of the square compared to the size of the screw.

Bob
Posted By: DougW Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 04:48 PM
Started using them at my (now defunct) "main job" after my foreman showed me how easy they were.

Most of the newer fitings have a combo slot/phillips/robertson head on them.

They're great if you're forced to work at an angle, as they'll stay in, rather than jump like a straight or phillips will. they're grat with power drivers, too... my buddy (fence & decking guy) has been using them for his work for years. He's surprised it took so long for them to "come indoors"
Posted By: Roger Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 05:06 PM
I use them for wood working.

C-H go here.
http://www.robertsonscrew.com/

Roger
Posted By: jbfan Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 08:10 PM
They are nothing new. They come in three sizes, r-1 r-2 r-3, and have been in use in mobile homes and rv for many years. I have now seen them for building decks, and more and more in the electrical industry
Posted By: big guy Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 08:52 PM
don't you boys have a 10 in one. if so you have one
Posted By: pauluk Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 09:08 PM
We don't have Robertson screws over here, but we do have a system known under the name Pozi-Driv which has been around for 30-odd years.

The heads look similar to Philips at first glance, but have extra, shallower flutes at the 45-degree points between the main slots, and a slightly rounded center section in place of the straight cross of Philips.
Posted By: Ever Ready Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 09:44 PM
Paul, do you remember GKN Supadriv screws? you needed a special screwdriver although Pozidriv screwdrivers fitted, as I recall they had more of a snub nose than Pozidriz, I wonder what happened to them.
Posted By: Fred Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 09:53 PM
I've been using a Robertson driver for about 7 years. Neer setscrew conduit fittings have had a universal head on their setscrews for a long time and the square option works the best. Robertson deck screws have been common around here for quite a while too. Most collated deck screws are Robertson as well as collated drywall screws. As someone said, Square D panels and breakers have used Robertson screw heads for quite a while and Siemens and GE have offered them in their panels too in recent years. I like them.
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 11:43 PM
I live in Canada. Robertsons are the only type of screw I normally use. Of equipment fromthe USA is all Phillips.
The reason you don't see them USA is because of Henry Ford.

Read the story here. http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Ontario/robertson_screws.htm
Posted By: hbiss Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 11:47 PM
I agree I would rather use the square drive option rather than phillips. Now if Klein would make a Robertson driver. Or do they? I haven't looked on their site but I haven't seen them at the suppply house.

-Hal
Posted By: iwire Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 11:57 PM
Here you go Hal they have a bunch of them. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from service.kleintools.com]
Posted By: Sandro Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/12/04 11:58 PM
Of course they do. I use em everyday. They are the long shaft type with the excellent rubber handle. I have a "red" robbie and a "green" robbie. These are the best screwdrivers on the market.
Posted By: rizer Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/13/04 12:13 AM
back in the eightys my forman called them canadian head screws and until this post i never had a manufacturer or inventors name to put to these screws. ive found them used on some of the switchgear at tropicana. the #2 robertson is the most common one ive found in use
thanks for the info...
Posted By: Sir Arcsalot Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/13/04 03:24 AM
I've come across these Robertson-head screws before- in fact, someone used them to anchor a handy box in my basement which I needed to replace. Never knew until now that they had a Canadian origin; this might explain why they were used since I live about five miles south of the border. I agree with the other comments- they are indeed a GREAT screw-head type to use unless you actually need the "cam-out" feature of the Phillips head.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/13/04 08:57 AM
Paul, do you remember GKN Supadriv screws?
Yes, I remember them being around. Does anyone still make them?
Posted By: Ever Ready Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/13/04 09:19 AM
I just had a look at some online vendors and Stanley amongst others are selling combination Pozi/Supadriv screw drivers although I can't see any vendors in the UK for the screws, possibly gone the way of Betamax vcr's
Posted By: classicsat Re: Robertson Screwdrivers - 04/13/04 03:54 PM
There is actually an R0 too

They often are colour coded:
R0 Yellow
R1 Green
R2 Red
R3 Black

They are often used for furniture assembly in Canadian factories.

I use them to attach things to wood, although I use drywall screws often to (with a #2 phillips bit, which is almost always in my screw-gun)

Canadian made appliances also use R2 screws to hold themselves together.

Most electrical devices (Switches and recepticles), us R1, larger stuff R2, and the screws I use to attach electrical boxes use R2 screws.
© ECN Electrical Forums