ECN Forum
Posted By: BigB Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/02/04 03:27 AM
I have always used copper for my service entrance conductors. Lately I have been thinking about using Al. I wanted to ask what other guys use and why they prefer one or the other.
Thanks, Brian (not a new member, just had to re-register)

[This message has been edited by BigB (edited 04-01-2004).]
Posted By: DougW Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/02/04 05:16 AM
Copper in, copper out (as far as we go).
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/02/04 02:27 PM
Depends on the size. If I were pulling anything bigger than 350Kcmil, I would use aluminum for ease of installation.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/02/04 03:59 PM
Bottom line is "what is the spec". EE/PE specs cu, then it's Cu. If spec is al, then that's it.

Our design/build jobs are cu, unless the client has a tight budget.

The above is for large services, anything else is cu.

With the market prices for a lot of metals heading for the roof, cu & al are up also.
(Seen prices for metal studs lately) Conduit & steel poles are heading up also.

We have pulled long runs of 600Cu, 750al, & Ryan's theory of ease with al is on the money, but you do what you have to.

The few resi jobs that we do are pipe & cu for 200 amp service.

John
Posted By: Tom Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/02/04 10:35 PM
Whatever the customer is willing to pay for. Most single family dwelling services i do with aluminum and almost all commercial/industrial are installed with copper.

For my own service entrance, aluminum.
Posted By: Merlin Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/02/04 11:18 PM
I usually use aluminum if it is underground service entrance. Then I use URD cable. If it is overhead then I go with copper where I can. Copper is must easier if limitations allow.
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/02/04 11:30 PM
Around here, 99% are aluminum.
Posted By: u2slow Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/03/04 05:45 AM
Will be using Aluminum for my 200A service. Copper only gets used around here if its spec'ed.
Posted By: nesparky Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/03/04 06:03 AM
We use copper unless AL is spec'd. Have had to repair too many places that had AL service, feeders, and even branch wiring.
Posted By: Sandro Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/03/04 12:36 PM
AL for all resi applications. CU for all commercial industrial apps.

How about Transformers? I always use aluminum wound XFMRs. in all applications.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/03/04 12:52 PM
Brian, are they Over-head or Undergound?.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/03/04 12:58 PM
Sandro,
How about Transformers? I always use aluminum wound XFMRs. in all applications.
Aluminium Wound Tranny?, first I've heard of this!?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: mvrandazzo Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/03/04 01:53 PM
99% in my area, SE MI, is Aluminum. If someone wants copper I have to search for it. And, of course, it will be more expensive.

Blessings, Mark
Posted By: Sandro Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/03/04 07:38 PM
Trumpy.....Yes, aluminum wound XFMRs. I use em all the time.

Read this....
http://www.alfatransformer.com/coppervsalum.htm
Posted By: BigB Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/04/04 04:10 AM
Trumpy, they're overhead. I figure if the Poco uses Al why should I spend the extra for Cu? Do you think I should be worried about open neutrals or phases with Al? Anytime I deal with Al I always scrub the conductors under a coating of Noalox before termination anyway. The Poco connects their Al directly in contact with my Cu and I don't think they use Noalox. I noticed they always place the Al on the top side of the connector however.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/06/04 02:51 AM
Copper here. I've never installed any large Al wire, but I've taken plenty out that would still be in use if it were copper. The NEC allows it, and it is written in the specs on some jobs. So therefore, someone will always use it.
Ask a lineman which is better. You don't see PoCo's out there stringing up copper MV and HV lines. The answer is that there are applications for both. Big, if I was in your shoes, I would look at it on a "case by case" basis.

Cu later,
Doc
Posted By: Sparkeee32 Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/07/04 01:34 AM
Her in WA, from all that I've seen, 99% Al, if underground, though I personally would NEVER have any major current flow through a direct buried AL conductor. Always pipe...always de-ox...always pray...with Al For over head, have used and seen Cu mostly. Ask yourself if weight is a concern...for some overhead aplications, weight is a big concern...others, sag is a concern. Cu would be my choice overhead, and Al underground and piped. Best wishes !
Posted By: ChrisDeckard Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/08/04 05:46 PM
The code doesn't forbid it, but in the long run copper is the only way to go. It has a much longer "life cycle" than aluminum.
It has a 1.6 times ampacity advantage, it is easier to install because you can twist it tighter, bend it further and pull it harder than it's alum counterpart. It is resistant to corrosion, has the highest conductivity rating of all engineering materials. It is more resistant to nicks and mechanical abuse.
Copper connections also run cooler which definatly pro;ongs there life, unlike aluminum. When and if you see old alum conductors check the connections. Normaly they are loose and completly oxidized.
It is more cost effective to run copper for commercial and industrial applications.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Service Entrance Conductors Poll - 04/08/04 09:04 PM
I'm with the Cu guys on here for one reason...I've replaced wayyyy to many panel boards & OCPD's where the AL feeders have pushed the lugs loose while expanding under load/heat & the subsequent loose connection has burned everything up! Anytime I go into gear or a panel with AL conductors that hasn't been opened for a while, I make sure to retorque everything, usually getting at least ΒΌ turn on each lug! All this assuming the lug was fully torqued in the first place, but this is many, many times over!
While these installations did last well out of their compulsory warranty periods, when I do an installation, I want to know that unless its upgraded years down the road, that it's going to be safe & functional for the long haul [Linked Image]

-Randy
© ECN Electrical Forums