ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy ECN Chat Schedule - 02/09/04 10:29 AM
Please, now that Bill has the Chat area up and running, could we please have some ideas on topics for discussion.
Also, here is a question.
What time are you able to hop into the ECN Chat area?
The reason I ask this is because Bill has some really great ideas about kick-starting this Chat area and I reckon that these wiil go down well amongst us all.
The only problem is the difference in time between us all and I personally reckon (being in NZ) that this may be a bit of a stumbling block, but hey, what's a late night once in a while, eh?. [Linked Image]
This is why we need a set time (UTC?)(Universal Time Co-ordinated) to start a given topic, so that no-one is left out.
So, if you guys have ideas on what we can talk about in specific, please by all means let us know below.
Last but not least, this is a resource that should be used to it's fullest, there is no point in having it if it is not going to be used, please make the most of it guys!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: earlydean Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/09/04 04:32 PM
Here in the States, we have time zones identified by: EST, CST, MST, and PST, for Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific. Is there something similiar world wide? I know there is Greenwich Standard Time, but I don't know how far off we are "across the pond".

Earl
Posted By: Hutch Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/09/04 08:36 PM
Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) or universal time (often suffixed "zulu") is used by aircraft globally.
UK is presently on GMT (in winter)
EST = GMT -5hrs,
CST = GMT -6hrs,
MST = GMT -7hrs, and
PST = GMT -8hrs.

New Zealand = GMT + 11hrs or
New Zealand = PST + 19hrs; i.e. it's nearly always tomorrow! [Linked Image]

This is a very hand time conversion page that keeps track of daylight saving in both the northern and southern hemispheres! Can otherwise get *very* confusing.

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited 02-09-2004).]
Posted By: electure Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/10/04 01:36 AM
Thanks, Hutch!
I just got home, and was going to look for a global time map. It's funny, many of us don't keep "regular" hours anyway.
Scott35 and I live a few minutes apart.
I'm usually in bed by about 7 or so, but he stays up 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week [Linked Image] (just kidding, I wish I had his adrenaline).
Let's all look at this and think...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-09-2004).]
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/10/04 02:10 AM
Hutch;
That's great what you explained there and very clear. I watch a show called JAG and they always use "ZULU" for their times. I asked a couple of people what that meant and no one knew. Didn't think about it til I saw your post. Thanks
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/10/04 02:30 AM
Hey, another JAG fan, [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I didn't know what 'Zulu' meant either.
Thanks Hutch,

Bill
Posted By: Hutch Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/10/04 02:59 AM
Pleasure guys!

For a facinating view on our beautiful planet as night sweeps across day and vice versa, I recommend visiting this site http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/uncgi/Earth .

I tend to put in my lat-long (i.e. 41N, 116W) and see where the twilight shaddow is at that moment. There are lots of other interesting options too.
Posted By: electure Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/10/04 04:18 AM
We'll have to start with an easy topic, such as the weather, or if the grounding pin on a receptacle should be up, or down. [Linked Image]...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-09-2004).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/10/04 04:28 AM
OK,

Back to the Topic at hand.

I'm thinking there's a few ways that the new Chat area can be used. If you'll notice down at the bottom of the Main Page there is an area called "Anyone Interested in a Chat?"

I propose that several days and times are suggested for General or Code Chat sessions. On that Day and Time someone could go in and make a room called "Code Chat" where we could hold the session. This could happen a few times per week so that most everyone that wanted to could be there for at least one. And of course other things could go on at the same time too. Making a room is a simple thing and there could be many.

Another idea is having to do with special areas of interest related (or not) to what we do. I've heard suggestions for a "Business Topic" Chat and a "Radio" Chat (for Enthusiasts). So if that sounds like something you'd like to talk about speak up!

Bill
Posted By: Hutch Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/10/04 04:29 AM
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited 02-10-2004).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/10/04 10:57 AM
New Zealand = GMT + 11hrs or
New Zealand = PST + 19hrs; i.e. it's nearly always tomorrow!

The NZ time zone is actually GMT + 12 hrs, or PST +20.

There's the added complication, however, that New Zealand uses daylight savings in the opposite half of the year to those of us in the northern hemisphere, so at the moment they're GMT +13 or PST +21 hrs.

During our summer when we're on daylight savings, NZ is BST (British Summer Time) + 11 hrs. or PDT + 19 hrs.

We've already had some discussions in the chat area about time zones and the complications of daylight savings and the Indiana situation! [Linked Image]

By the way, GMT is now known officially as UTC (Universal Time Co-ordinated).

Bill,
I propose that several days and times are suggested for General or Code Chat sessions.

A good idea. Perhaps I could suggest that we arrange some sessions for weekends. That way there's probably more chance of those us living in widely separated time zones to meet up with each other.
Posted By: earlydean Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/10/04 02:01 PM
So, if I (EST) wanted to post a time for my chat, I would say 0800-0900 Zulu time, and I would be logging on at 3 AM my time, right?

Earl
Posted By: Hutch Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/10/04 03:23 PM
Paul is quite correct - I misread the numbers. NZ right now is GMT +13hrs! So at PST + 21hrs it is hardly ever today!
Posted By: electure Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/11/04 12:25 AM
Oh, boy!
I better go ahead and get the map anyway.
It looks like Trumpy's 1PM is my 4PM, but tomorrow [Linked Image].
(As I spin a lemon, trying to figure it out)
Are our European friends up at this time of day/night?

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-10-2004).]
Posted By: Admin Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/11/04 12:44 AM
Everyone,

Please post your Ideas and preferences/availablity in the new Chat and Conference area. >> here

It has just come to my attention that posting was restricted in that area. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] That was not our intention and has been fixed so that all members can give their input there.

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 02-10-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/15/04 12:36 AM
Electure,
It looks like Trumpy's 1PM is my 4PM, but tomorrow
Yeah, mate, it's really weird that. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/15/04 02:06 AM
Remember, though, today is tomorrows yesterday. Last week, at this time, it was still next week.
Posted By: pauluk Re: ECN Chat Schedule - 02/15/04 08:26 AM
It looks like Trumpy's 1PM is my 4PM, but tomorrow .
(As I spin a lemon, trying to figure it out)
Are our European friends up at this time of day/night?

4 p.m. PST is midnight in the U.K., Ireland, and Portugal, and 1 a.m. next day in the rest of western Europe.

By the way, nobody has mentioned Australia yet, which spans three time zones. The Western zone is GMT +8 hrs, Central zone is an odd half-hour allocation of GMT +9-1/2, Eastern is GMT +10. Just to confuse matters, they also use daylight savings in some states but not others.

There is an interesting site about Daylight Savings here .

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-15-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums