ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/14/03 01:09 AM
I've gotten several Emails today entitled "Dear PayPal Customer"
This e-mail is the notification of recent innovations taken by PayPal to detect inactive customers and non-functioning mailboxes.

The inactive customers are subject to restriction and removal in the next 3 months.

Please confirm your email address and credit card information by logging in to your PayPal account using the form below:

Email Address:
Password:
Full Name:
Credit Card #:
Exp.Date(mm/yyyy):
ATM PIN (For Bank Verification) #:
DON"T DO IT !!
I believe this is a scam to get your vital financial info

Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/14/03 01:24 AM
Bill,
Thanks for the warning, mate!.
I get heaps of these and other Spam in my email account.
And they ALL get sent to the Trash Can, which is where they belong!.
Posted By: George Corron Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/14/03 03:39 AM
How come YOU get all the BEST e-mails?????
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/14/03 05:11 AM
George,

I can have all of them forwarded to you!
No problem!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/14/03 06:01 AM
LOL,
Have you guys ever had a problem with Pop-up advertising?
I know a site that can cure all of this rubbish!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/14/03 10:34 AM
Got to be a scam Bill. [Linked Image]

I have a PayPal account which I use quite regularly for buying from the States, and they have my credit card number and expiry date on file. If I only need to use my password on a secure link to make a payment, why on earth would they need to ask for the card details again just to "verify" your status?

And there's no reason whatsoever why PayPal or anyone else would need to know my ATM PIN.

Have you had a look at the message headers to see where it might have come from?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/14/03 01:40 PM
Paul,

I'm not too adept at gleaning pertinent info from these things, but both 'from' addresses seemed to be from PayPal (Update0zfs4e02x@paypal.com was one) and they seemed to have come through compuserve somehow.

My brother got some last week with a link that took him to a form. Mine had the form built right into the Email text and included PayPal Logos

The form seemed to execute something at:
paypal.com-(some zillion digit # here 0100101011100 etc)-@gratelol.port5.com/(0100101011100 ...).php

Here's the (disabled) Email

Bill
Posted By: mamills Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/14/03 03:30 PM
Bill:
Thanks for the heads up!! Kinda sounds like some of that Nigerian ^&%^&%$*%$( that I receive all the time [Linked Image]!

Mikke (mamills)
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/14/03 04:18 PM
Bill, while those email addresses MAY look legit, the actual path often traces back through several 'mirror' domains, sites and servers. With a little more time (like most hackers, whackers and thieves seem to have because they're out making OFF with our money instead of out making their own danged money....), just about anyone can set up a convoluted maze for distribution of pure junk and make it pop out the other end looking every bit like the real thing.

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 06-14-2003).]
Posted By: Scotts Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/14/03 05:33 PM
Bill,
Have you e-mailed the REAL pay pal about this e-mail? I would suggest logging onto the real pay pal and e-mail them this form. See what they say. If it is a scam they should know about and warn all of their accounts.
Scott
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/14/03 06:07 PM
I'm sure they know about it.
A quick search turned up a few stories on it:
http://news.com.com/2100-1018-991639.html
. http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/1470291
The following has a sample similar to mine: http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBScams.shtml#paypal

Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/15/03 12:48 PM
Bill,

The actual "from" field in the email is pretty meaningless, as that can contain anything the sender cares to put in it. What I'd be looking at is the route this mesaage took, compared to the systems that a genuine message from PayPal usually takes.

But even without that, it's got to be a scam anyway. There's no way that even your own bank should ever need to ask for your ATM code, nevermind anyone else.
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/16/03 12:48 AM
I got one a while ago that looked to be from ebay and asked me to verify my account info including credit card.

The link in the email even showed the URL for an ebay page but didn't actually go there. It went to another address where an entire ebay website had been set up. All the links worked, It was a perfect reproduction of the real ebay but wasn't.

I emailed ebay with the address, got a thank you from them within 20 minutes and went to check and the other site was already gone.
Posted By: pauluk Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/17/03 11:03 AM
It looks as though this scam has been going the rounds.

I found this thread on the UK eBay discussion board.

randall@ebay.com
16/06/03 4:48 PM (# 2 of 3)

Thank you for posting this, it is always good to remind users that they need to be careful.

PayPal will not ask for personal info in an email. We will also address you by the name you provided when signing up with PayPal. If the email says "Dear PayPal Customer" you will know it's not from us.

Cheers,
Randall
PayPal Consumer Relations

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-17-2003).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 06/20/03 11:00 PM
That's just not on really!. [Linked Image]
Impersonating other peoples websites.
These people have no morals!.
I wish there was an International group that could police exactly what was sent over the Internet, with the likes of SPAM, pop-up advertising, etc.
After all, we are all paying to use this resource, shouldn't we have the right to use this without all the BS that comes in regardless of wether we want it anyway?.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-20-2003).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 08/09/03 04:46 AM
Trumpy,

I think things would have to get really opressively bad for many to agree that any regulation of any kind should be in place.

I just got another fake PayPal Email today and it made me think of this thread. Same as the first.

DON'T DO IT!

Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 08/09/03 06:49 AM
Bill,
I'm afraid that it is that way, every Webmaster has to make money and they employ people to send SPAM these days.
The internet is just becoming like one big Car lot, just an advertisers Dream, had to happen I suppose!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 08/09/03 07:56 AM
Bill,
I am not referring to ECN, of course.
Some Webmasters around just pimp everyones email addresses out to all and sundry, hence the large number of junk emails!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 08/09/03 10:12 AM
The internet is just becoming like one big Car lot,
Uh oh.....

"How 'bout this little Cray Supercomputer, Sir? It was owned by a little old lady from Pasedena who only used it to balance her checkbook!" [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 08/09/03 04:52 PM
Trumpy,

You're right I'm afraid.
We have had offers and inquiries about purchasing our Mailing Lists but would never sell them.

There also seem to be people or Computers that make up random email addresses and send out things. If it doesn't come back to them it gets added to their list to sell to some unsuspecting person or company that wants to promote their product. It's not unusual for me to get 20 copies of the same email at one time.

Bill
Posted By: lil suzi Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 09/05/03 04:13 AM
Wow, how come I didnt get one of those??
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: **** Dear PayPal Customer **** - 09/05/03 06:01 AM
suzi,

Say the word and we'll send you some!

[Linked Image]
Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums