ECN Forum
Posted By: HotLine1 Material shortages??? - 04/22/22 04:22 PM
Any of the contractors here having issues getting materials??

How about the local utility co. (POCO) having delays??

I'm hearing a lot of issues for the last few weeks.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Material shortages??? - 04/22/22 05:59 PM
I hear supplies are tight but the biggest complaint is the price. If you don't have the materials on hand, your bid might be low. I saw a roll of 12/2 Romex for $180 the other day at a big box store. Yikes.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Material shortages??? - 04/25/22 12:41 PM
Issues I have heard of

175 KW generator for new surgi center 48-52 weeks
200 amp meter pans, very hard to come by, even the POCO is short supply
Dry transformers, supplies are very limited, and lead times are long.
Some resi PVC device boxes are unavailable.

etc
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Material shortages??? - 04/27/22 04:56 PM
Just saw 12/2 Romex $165/Roll @ HD.

They're locking it up now blink
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Material shortages??? - 04/29/22 07:41 PM
Wow, Bill at HD?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Material shortages??? - 04/29/22 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Wow, Bill at HD?

Yup, they had a cage around it. Glad I'm not doing new Residential, I think the most I ever paid for a roll of 12/2 when I had to go to HD was like $32/250ft

Crazy to be in that Business now!!
dunno

Don't know how anyone can Bid on those jobs now...
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Material shortages??? - 04/30/22 04:50 AM
Originally Posted by Bill Addiss
Just saw 12/2 Romex $165/Roll @ HD.

They're locking it up now blink

Because people were tossing in a shopping basket & rolling out the front door without paying for it at big box stores, you either stop it or go out of business.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Material shortages??? - 04/30/22 03:47 PM
That may be more of a California thing. We have not decriminalized shoplifting in Florida. They don't have a problem arresting people here. We still have people rolling carts full of merchandise out the door but the pictures are on the news and they catch a lot of them ... usually driving back to Miami.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Material shortages??? - 05/02/22 08:12 PM
1st time I saw a video of that type of theft the vid was taken in a Lowe's in Oregon.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Material shortages??? - 05/23/22 05:56 PM
Recently saw a theft article here for $3200 in 'wire' (probably Romex) from the Orange Box. Was put into a stolen SUV, and the thief got caught.

An interesting theft was some brave (stupid or skilled) thief cut the 4160 volt primaries from a mat transformer pad, then cut the secondaries from the pots to the buss that went thru the wall. Guess it was about $150-$200 in scrap value. Now, the bldg. owner needs a new service!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Material shortages??? - 05/28/22 07:06 AM
Hey John (Hotline),
Biggest issue we have over here is the lack of plasterboard.
Now, normally that wouldn't be an issue, but you don't want to be 1st fitting a building without the walls being covered up reasonably smartly, you can make the building as secure as you like, the thieves still get in.
We have a cartel over here that needs to be broken up, especially when they closed one of their plasterboard factories a month or so ago.
But, the architects here are also causing this issue, when they say on their plans they want Gib (which is a brand, not a material), that is what builders HAVE to use otherwise it does not comply when it comes time for inspection.
There are perfectly good and better alternatives to Gib, but Fletcher Building Supplies will not allow any suppliers to stock anything else apart from their products.
It's like shopping in Soviet Russia here at the moment when you go to the hardware stores.
© ECN Electrical Forums