ECN Forum
Posted By: FountainGuy Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/18/10 01:11 PM
Absolutely no disrespect to Inspectors, but is there a blog or a list of crazy interpretations from inspectors out there? Probably well over 90% of Inspectors do a fine job, but every once in a while, an Inspector will come up with a whopper that just throws common sense out the window!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/18/10 02:37 PM
Based on the collective amount of years of experience of the forum members....this should get interesting!

I'm going to make this a sticky & see what happens.

My comments to follow....
Posted By: Rewire Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/18/10 02:58 PM
I installed a cord and plug sump pump the inspector failed because I did not have a "disconnect" installed before the receptacle outlet.
Posted By: electure Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/18/10 03:18 PM
I had 1 city inspector that wanted a copper EGC run through all EMT, with bonding bushings on each end.... of every box in the place!

He claimed that the zinc locknuts on the set screw connectors didn't provide an effective grounding path.
(He had recently attended a seminar on grounding & bonding, and must have fallen asleep during the bulk of it)

We appealed it to the AHJ of course, and won.

Posted By: ghost307 Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/18/10 03:23 PM
I was walking a job with one of the Inspectors when we passed by the Service Equipment. This large building had 3 services, 208V for general power, 480V for the Mechanicals and 208V Emergency. It was all sequence stuff...no single main in any of them. 208V Switchboard (6 disconnects), 480V Switchboard (5 disconnects) and EM Panel (3 disconnects).

He told me that it was a lucky thing that this was an existing installation because if he were inspecting it under the new Code (based on the 1999NEC) he would knock it down for having more than 6 disconnects.

I told him that there were less than 6 disconnects for each service...and he proceeded to tell me that the Code limitation was 6 disconnects in the entire building.

I wonder what he does with Hospitals and high-rise office buildings.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/18/10 06:17 PM
Aw come on, inspectors are always 100% correct when it comes to code interpretations. BTW Did I tell you about this great bridge I have for sale?
I have been to IAEI meetings where people in the same department were arguing about what the code says.
Grounding is always a place for disagreeing. That grounded neutral in the meter pan can always start a fight. "can you have a metal nipple to the service disconnect enclosure?" "parallel neutral" yada yada

We have 2 adjoining jurisdictions with opposite readings.
They even tried to clean up the language in 99 (or 02?) but old fights die hard.

The other one is, "can you use a turned up rebar for the connection to the Ufer?"

Again jurisdictions that touch, disagree. I do feel sorry for contractors. Maybe they should have a GPS Nav application that gives you code references based on location wink
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I do feel sorry for contractors. Maybe they should have a GPS Nav application that gives you code references based on location wink

Gregg.,

You are on something on this one I can belive it due I know couple city in Wisconsin have that kind of headache you almost have to use the GPS 100% of the time unless you know which area you are expecting to follow the regulations.

Merci,Marc
Posted By: FountainGuy Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/19/10 01:05 PM
Rewire, regarding the sump pump, I think the inspector wants a means of disconnect besides the circuit breaker since the pump motor is greater than 1/18 HP. But the Inspector has a great imagination when it comes to where the disconnect should be located. I wonder if the inspector knows, or cares, that sump pump manufacturers void warranty if you cut off the plug.
Posted By: Rewire Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/19/10 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by FountainGuy
Rewire, regarding the sump pump, I think the inspector wants a means of disconnect besides the circuit breaker since the pump motor is greater than 1/18 HP. But the Inspector has a great imagination when it comes to where the disconnect should be located. I wonder if the inspector knows, or cares, that sump pump manufacturers void warranty if you cut off the plug.
remove the plug from the receptacle and you have disconnected the motor
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/19/10 03:19 PM
In some places you'd need the GPS tied to Facebook.

The interpretation varies between cities, but within the city limits it can vary based on who you get as an Inspector that day for that job.
Posted By: Jim M Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/19/10 07:28 PM
Had one where I installed 4/0 SER that I had to a 150 panel. Inspector said I had to install a smaller cable as the panel could not take all the power the 4/0 could supply. I asked why the main breaker in the panel wouldn't trip if it was drawing that much. He said "I will let it go this time".

Same job he said I had the grounds from the water line and rod reversed in the disconnect. I asked what difference did it make. He said he did not want the fault current going thru the buss, it wasn't rated for that much current.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/19/10 08:40 PM
The only problem I might see with the 4/0 in a 150a panel is the main bonding jumper (typically a #10 screw) might not be rated for the available fault current you could get from a 4/0. You would be thrown back to the listing info on the panel. Does it limit the service conductor size?
As a quick sanity check
Will a 4/0 fit in the lugs without cutting off strands?
Posted By: Jim M Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/19/10 08:48 PM
The bond screw is the same for the 100, 150 and 200 amp Square D panels. This panel also had a 150 disco ahead of it too. Yes, the 4/0 fit in the lugs without modification.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/19/10 10:55 PM
I was thinking copper but I assume you mean aluminum.

It was really just the only rationalization I could make for the "too big" problem.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/20/10 07:04 PM
Here in northern NJ we have a couple of real crazy inspectors. I hear it from the contractors. There was one inspector who made everyone run a #6 wire from the service to the well casing even though there was an equipment grounding conductor in the feed to the well wiring. Most of the times the EC will do what the AHJ wants because it is a cheap fix and it keeps the job going. The reason I got my inspectors lic. was because of some of those crazy inspectors.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/21/10 01:20 AM
Here in New Jersey we have the UCC. Uniform Construction Code, aka "5:23 et al".
That is supposed to make the 'codes' the same statewide!

A while back, I heard/read that the Commonwealth of Pa. was going to adopt a similar system, and have 'Commonwealth' certification/licensure of Electrical Inspectors. I have not heard/read anymore recently, and wonder if this ever happened.

That said, I still hear a few comments from the EC's regarding inspectors, and procedures in other towns. It is nowhere as bad as it used to be years back.

I have to agree in part what Harold says above, the 'odd' rules used to annoy me as an EC, and 99% of the time I also 'did it' to move the job along. Our appeal process can take 60 days....and a lot longer.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/21/10 04:40 AM
Florida has a unified building code with no local options and state inspector licensing but that does not stop a local spin on what the code says.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/21/10 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by FountainGuy
Absolutely no disrespect to Inspectors, but is there a blog or a list of crazy interpretations from inspectors out there?

Yes but we keep it hidden. Next question. =)
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/21/10 04:45 PM
Greg:

Yes, the 'interpertation' of the code leaves a lot to be desired, especially when there are 'major changes' (my words).

Controversey regarding AFCI's (as you can see in Harold's commentary) causes me to LMAO, scratch my head, and wonder what ever happened to common sense.

The various association meetings/discussions usually turns into lively debates on 'what the words mean', and 'how "I" read it', and reference to 'what the guy in the adjacent town "likes"'! It amazes me that three people can read something that is basically cut & dry, and define it in two or three opinions.

Another situation exists when an EC contacts the State DCA to get an 'opinion' regarding a NEC interpertation from a local AHJ. The person at the DCA provides his/her 'opinion' verbally upon hearing the EC's comments. What that boils down to is 'an opinion'; and unless it is presented in a written formt as outlined within our UCC, all it is, is an 'opinion'. It is still the local AHJ's approval that is required, and his/her choice to accept the 'opinion' of the State.

Posted By: Tom Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/21/10 10:29 PM
One city inspector (who is no longer there) once asked for a 3rd ground rod to be driven. The reason? Installer used PVC between the meter & the service disconnect, thereby avoiding the need for a grounding bushing. Inspector knew there was supposed to be a grounding bushing installed and since there wasn't, the third ground rod made up for it.

Needless to say, in our state, there are no requirements to be an inspector for a municipality, if the city puts you in that job, you're "qualified."
Posted By: harold endean Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/22/10 02:13 PM
Here in NJ if you don't like what the AHJ says, you can always take him in front of the Construction Board of Appeals. They meet every month (Usually in the county seat or court house) and you can present your case. You can represent yourself and you don't need a lawyer or nothing. There are 5 members on the board and they represent each trade. (Fire, Electric, building and plumbing)There also are special members that sit on the board when cases like escrow come up. The board can either agree with the contractor or the AHJ.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 02/22/10 02:32 PM
The Board of Appeals is something that I (IMHO) refer to as a last resort. It is a good system, but it has some drawbacks; a fee is required, there is a time lapse to get on the schedule. The sessions are monthly, but dependent on the locality, you may have two or three sessions 'booked', and you have to wait.

Personally, a discussion with the Electrical Subcode Official, and the Construction Official should be a starting point, and usually the situation can be resolved there.

A quick comment from my memory bank... quite a while back, I failed a rough on a bath remodel; outlet box not bonded. It was a gray plastic old work box! After attempting to explain to the Inspector twice (with two more red stickers), I finally drilled & tapped a bonding screw in the box to get a 'pass'.

Posted By: harold endean Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 03/03/10 02:17 PM
John,

You are correct that the CBOA is the last resort. Most times the EC will just do what the AHJ wants to keep the job moving. However sometimes the AHJ is just way out there in his request. They won't even quote you a code section when they fail you.
Posted By: twh Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 03/03/10 10:12 PM
I had an inspector tell me that 90.2 amps is not greater than 90 amps. The same inspector told another electrician that the top of an MCC wasn't rated for grounding conduit and needed to be replaced with a 1/8" plate of steel.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 03/08/10 01:17 PM
I'm removing the "sticky" status of this thread.
If there is that many posters to it, it will stay on top.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 03/08/10 06:00 PM
I just heard another good one this morning. The EC was told by the AHJ that the dryer wasn't Arc Fault. The EC asked the AHJ, why? It doesn't need to be Arc Fault protected. The AHJ's response was I want the 240 volt dryer on an AFCI breaker!

Go figure.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 03/09/10 12:38 AM
Harold:

Where do you find this stuff???

Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 03/10/10 03:22 AM
You think inspectors got some funny ideas! you otta see what the Electrical contractors come up with!!
Posted By: leland Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 03/10/10 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by Yoopersup
You think inspectors got some funny ideas! you otta see what the Electrical contractors come up with!!

Waiting with 'baited breath'.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 03/10/10 01:52 PM
John,

Believe me, I ain't making this stuff up! I swear! smile I get these kinds of questions all the time. I stop in at my old supply house at least once o month to chat with the guts and pick up a few things. The EC's come up to me and ask me all of these questions.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 03/10/10 03:13 PM
Yoop:

Well.....let's hear some of it!

Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Crazy Inspection Interpretations - 03/10/10 03:25 PM
Just go to the Code Photo Violation section & enjoy.
I was an inspector for over 20 yrs . They came up with things I couldn't even imagine!!
Yoopersup
© ECN Electrical Forums