ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Forum Upgrade - 10/26/08 06:53 PM
I've bought the latest version of this Forum software and will try upgrading - possibly tonight (Sun 10/26/08).

It fixes some bugs and has some new Features you guys might like - or, at least it will give you some new things to play with.

Hopefully it will go off without a hitch ....

crazy
Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: Forum Upgrade - 10/26/08 09:19 PM
BTW, The chat room will not be affected during the Upgrade.
Posted By: Admin Re: Forum Upgrade - 10/27/08 02:22 AM
It probably won't be tonight (Sunday). I have to wait for a Backup to be done first.

Bill
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Forum Upgrade - 10/28/08 08:10 PM
FWIW, the Firefox browser often gets hung on ECN. ECN does work fine on IE, though.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Forum Upgrade - 10/28/08 10:29 PM
I've been seeing the hang problem on Firefox, as well.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Forum Upgrade - 10/28/08 11:46 PM
I have had it a couple times myself but not that often. When I restore the session it is OK
Posted By: Admin Re: Forum Upgrade - 10/29/08 04:35 AM
I haven't been able to do a Backup yet, so the Upgrade attempt is on hold for the moment.

Bill
Posted By: Tesla Re: Forum Upgrade - 10/29/08 04:41 AM
My password is being rejected as of the last 48 hours...

any connection to the upgrade

I can't get into the chat...
Posted By: Admin Re: Forum Upgrade - 10/29/08 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tesla
My password is being rejected as of the last 48 hours...

any connection to the upgrade

I can't get into the chat...
Tesla,

The upgrade hasn't happened yet, But the Chat Area is a separate entity anyway. A few days ago it was brought to my attention that security settings had somehow changed for the chatroom, (people could get in without registering) and I reset them.

I can think of two reasons for your problem.

If you never registered for the chat it will no longer let you in. Note: a working email address must be put in so you can receive login instructions.

If you are registered and either name or password is not entered exactly as you registered with it will likely be rejected. (Capital/lowercase letters and spaces may throw it off). There appears to be something strange about names with a space that it changes to a _ and doesn't recognize properly, but that shouldn't affect you.

If you have registered there try this >> Click the 'update password' link there and then 'forgot password', Enter your username and click 'retreive password' and it will send you the login info to the email address you registered there with (subject will be "Password Recovery System").

Let me know if you have any more problems, or if it still dosen't work.

Bill
Posted By: Tesla Re: Forum Upgrade - 10/31/08 06:22 AM
tried all that...

system blows up...

i can't go backward or forward...

my nic is either not recognized...

then after a fresh re-try... rejects the back-link from my email program...

now won't let me retry with the same nic...

says it's already in use...

BTW I was registered from the very beginning in both chat and forum...

very weird... since i can still get into the forum
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Forum Upgrade - 10/31/08 09:31 AM
Tesla,
Did you read Bill's comments above, before you tried this?

The Chat room and Forums are on totally different servers.

One of the ONLY ways to register your user-name in the Chat area is to use Copy and paste, things like caps and as Bill said "l" (lower-case L) can look like a one number.
Posted By: Admin Re: Forum Upgrade - 10/31/08 11:10 PM
tried all that...

system blows up...

i can't go backward or forward...

my nic is either not recognized...

then after a fresh re-try... rejects the back-link from my email program...

now won't let me retry with the same nic...

says it's already in use...

BTW I was registered from the very beginning in both chat and forum...

very weird... since i can still get into the forum
You lost me.

I just had your info sent to your email address. Try logging in with that. Note: tesla (all lowercase letters) is the name you registered with.
Posted By: Tesla Re: Forum Upgrade - 11/02/08 10:42 PM
ECN Chat Java does not like Mobile Me . Com. The Activating Link blows up and requires manual intervention.

Until that activation process is generated -- afresh -- nothing has been achieved. All prior randomly generated passwords are NOT recognized.

The ONLY way back in is to trigger the Activation Link from the e-mail. Even the latest password e-mailed by the webmaster was still rejected. (!)

However after an inordinate amount of effort I finally logged back in.

The Chat no longer accepts my password via a 'keychain' script. I have to re-enter it with every log-in.

Still, that's success.

Thanks.

tesla
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Forum Upgrade - 11/04/08 06:11 AM

The Chat no longer accepts my password via a 'keychain' script. I have to re-enter it with every log-in.

Everyone that uses the chat area has to re-enter their password at every signing-in.
Posted By: Admin Re: Forum Upgrade - 11/05/08 05:57 AM
I've decided that there's a couple things (including some testing) I have to do before I try the upgrade. I'll give you a heads-up when I know for sure something will happen.

Sorry for the 'jumping the gun' with the announcement.

Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums