ECN Forum
Posted By: mj HOMEOWNERS WIRING ? - 11/13/02 11:24 PM
is homeowner wiring premitted in your city? all wiring must be done by a licensed electrician with proper permits in my city.
Posted By: Surge_in_fl Re: HOMEOWNERS WIRING ? - 11/14/02 12:22 AM
I live in the Tampa, St Pete area of Florida. The local building departments will issue a homeowners permit for electrical wiring. They perfer to have a qualitified person do the installation but they will accept a proper installation done by the homeowner.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: HOMEOWNERS WIRING ? - 11/14/02 01:52 AM
State of NJ; homeowner of 1 family residence that he/she occupies can obtain a permit for electrical, plumbing, etc. It must be a single family, owner occupied residence. All other structures have to be done by a licensed EC.
John
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: HOMEOWNERS WIRING ? - 11/14/02 05:11 AM
Ditto Hotline's comment for the State of Minn.

Al
Posted By: Roger Loock Re: HOMEOWNERS WIRING ? - 11/14/02 03:42 PM
Here in Oregon, homeowner can get a permit and do the work and it must be inspected.
Posted By: pauluk Re: HOMEOWNERS WIRING ? - 11/14/02 09:39 PM
No such thing as electrical permits and inspections here in England. A homeowner is free to carry out any wiring he wishes.
Posted By: nesparky Re: HOMEOWNERS WIRING ? - 11/14/02 10:47 PM
NE has same rule as NJ
Posted By: electure Re: HOMEOWNERS WIRING ? - 11/14/02 11:17 PM
So CA.
You can do your own work as a homeowner.. with a real neat exception.
The City of Laguna Beach has an "Owner/Builder" test that you must pass before they will issue you a permit. Although fairly simple, it weeds out the totally uneducated.
I think it's a great idea...S
Posted By: George Re: HOMEOWNERS WIRING ? - 11/15/02 01:20 AM
OK lets owners and tenents do wiring.

There may or may not be exceptions depending on who you talk to.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: HOMEOWNERS WIRING ? - 11/15/02 01:26 AM
The "TEST" sounds like a real good idea..maybe the legislatures will read this. If I had a lifetime to spend here typing, and you guys had the same to read it, boy there are some "Homeowner Horrors".
IE: Today, a guy says "I don't want receptacle" " only want two in room by bed"
gave him the 6-12 cut sheet, and the 2-4 for the kitchen, a red sticker and said 'bye.
John
Posted By: Roger Re: HOMEOWNERS WIRING ? - 11/15/02 02:06 AM
Electure, Asheville NC does the same thing.
I also think it is a good idea.

Paul, there are still some parts of the states that are just about like that.

Roger
Posted By: rhagfo Re: HOMEOWNERS WIRING ? - 11/15/02 02:20 PM
I live in Oregon, Washington County, just outside Portland. The county allows homeowners to do Electrical as long as they get a permit and inspections and are the occupant AND don't plan on selling within the next year. I like the idea of the Homeowner test, it would still not weed out those who don't have a clue and don't get a permit.
Posted By: sparky Re: HOMEOWNERS WIRING ? - 11/15/02 11:16 PM
In Vermont you could probably build your own nuke plant, homeland security aside.....
© ECN Electrical Forums