ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Recessed lamp issue with picky builder - 04/08/07 08:21 PM
I'm aware that the maximum wattage allowable for a hi-hat is dictated by the trim and type of lamp.

Because I don't like the visibility of the socket and bracket on a standard Halo open type and even the stepped baffle trim, I install cone-type trims that completely obscure the lamp socket.
The label permits R30, 75-watt lamps.
The builder wants me to install R40 lamps in order to "fill-in" the trim more.

Although I refuse to do so, I am wondering what the issue may be if the wattage is the same, but the diameter increases?

Closer proximity to the trim?
Less heat dissipation?
Posted By: e57 Re: Recessed lamp issue with picky builder - 04/09/07 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Redsy

Closer proximity to the trim?
Less heat dissipation?

Yes, and yes. Lamps not listed on the trim/can are a violation of the UL listing.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Recessed lamp issue with picky builder - 04/09/07 11:13 AM
Ditto with Mark
John
Posted By: Redsy Re: Recessed lamp issue with picky builder - 04/09/07 11:28 AM
Thanks, Guys.

I believe that when I leave, someone will change the lamps. I'm wondering what might happen.

I assume the thermal cutouts will cycle at some point.

John

John

Posted By: john p Re: Recessed lamp issue with picky builder - 04/09/07 12:00 PM
Talking aboat lamp types, How many of the fixtures are labled for use with the screw in flour. lts. Even regular lights will say use type A lamps. is it a violation.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Recessed lamp issue with picky builder - 04/09/07 12:17 PM
Thermals will cycle oversize lamps.
Yes, most recess are not listed for CF screw-in lamps.

What people do after inspections is between them and God.

John
Posted By: e57 Re: Recessed lamp issue with picky builder - 04/10/07 06:31 AM
It's between them and billing if its warantee issue...

I recently refused to replace a bare A-19 in a closet in a porciline. It broke of at the base, I took the base out and told them I would not put another lamp in it - and then told them about a family I met who had to jump out the second floor windows of thier house as it was on fire.... They then wanted a screw-in CF - nope! Same thing...
Posted By: johnd24 Re: Recessed lamp issue with picky builder - 04/10/07 11:58 PM
Why are you using halo??? There are mucher nicer can lights available.Try Progress 6" cans.Their cheap and the trim is coned and snaps tight to the ceiling.Also Nora makes nice cans in a variety of sizes and trims.
© ECN Electrical Forums